OT: any oil painters on the forum?

• Members

who can enlighten me?

my wife brought home some stretched canvases, so that we might each paint a picture for the upcoming child..

i havent painted in 20 odd years, and never used oil...

but despite that, i went to day and bought some oils, some turpentine, some medium..

who can enlighten me on techniques, and the science of it so to speak?

• Members

that's probably the best advice.

I always preferred working with oils to acrylic. You just have to keep in mind that they are very different and take a good amount of time to dry. Which isn't always a bad thing

As impatient as I am, I'm amazed I ever did any oil painting. Acylics for me, although the subtleties of color don't compare with oils.

• Members

Assuming the canvass is properly stretched, put a good layer of Gesso on it.

Know what it is you want to paint first. Usually it's wise to do some pencil sketches to get the composition and tonal properties working.

Use charcoal to roughly sketch your drawing on the canvass.

I work with basic primaries - a red, blue, yellow and black. Paynes Grey comes in handy as well as white. Mix all your secondary colours from the primaries and start filling in the blanks.

I like working with a wet canvass as I tend to like sculpting in oils, but everyone needs to find a technique that works best for them.

Enjoy!

• Members

Oils are tons of fun. It's been a while since I did any serious work with them, but you can't beat the color. The waiting sucks, but it's like analog recording... waiting for the reel to rewind gives you time to think about what you just did, and plan your next move.

• Members

thanks for the tips..

i really meant technical stuff like what to thin the paints with, mediums, etc...

thought now i hear from others that i shoudnt be exposing pregnant wife to the fumes this will generate...might have to go get come acrylics and wait a couple months for the oil experiment

Archived