Art on the wall

SB900LE

• Moderators

Sure. I posted a few times when I got it, but the short story is one of my sister's boyfriend's is an aspiring artist. He wanted to give me a housewarming gift when I moved into my new place this summer and decided to paint the bass pictured in my avatar. It's oil on canvas. Here is another picture of it:

IMG_7233.jpg

This was his first rough draft. You can see he had to go back and put the strings under the pickup cover after he saw the bass in person:

IMG_0185-1.jpg

The pickguard was not easy to do and it is really easy to appreciate it in person.

• Members

Sure. I posted a few times when I got it, but the short story is one of my sister's boyfriend's is an aspiring artist. He wanted to give me a housewarming gift when I moved into my new place this summer and decided to paint the bass pictured in my avatar. It's oil on canvas. Here is another picture of it:

IMG_7233.jpg

This was his first rough draft. You can see he had to go back and put the strings under the pickup cover after he saw the bass in person:

IMG_0185-1.jpg

The pickguard was not easy to do and it is really easy to appreciate it in person.

Hmm.. I like the rough draft more.. Its a little more 'raw'

• Moderators

bassman1956 cautioned against changing the background after the rough draft, in that respect I agree that that revision was for the worse. Some of the difference between the two pictures is lighting conditions. The "final" picture looked subdued or softened, but that is not really the case, it was just the lighting on that shot ("final" shot is ambient light and the "rough" shot is with a flash). I can nit pick about the perspective and proportions and that kind of stuff about the piece, but the fact is, this dude I barely know spent a lot of time painting something that is important to me and gave me a gift that is more meaningful than most I've been given. The added part of the story is that particular bass was the last gift given to me from my wife as she lost herself to mental illness. So, the painting is a special gift that references an even more special gift.

• Members

bassman1956 cautioned against changing the background after the rough draft, in that respect I agree that that revision was for the worse. Some of the difference between the two pictures is lighting conditions. The "final" picture looked subdued or softened, but that is not really the case, it was just the lighting on that shot ("final" shot is ambient light and the "rough" shot is with a flash). I can nit pick about the perspective and proportions and that kind of stuff about the piece, but the fact is, this dude I barely know spent a lot of time painting something that is important to me and gave me a gift that is more meaningful than most I've been given. The added part of the story is that particular bass was the last gift given to me from my wife as she lost herself to mental illness. So, the painting is a special gift that references an even more special gift.

I had read previously where you referenced your personal and family situation, and you filled in some of the blanks here and last night. It's a very compelling story about the history of the painting and that bass.

I didn't get into it when we met, but I'm concerned that I may be dealing with something similar with my older brother...

• Moderators

I had read previously where you referenced your personal and family situation, and you filled in some of the blanks here and last night. It's a very compelling story about the history of that bass.

I didn't get into it when we met, but I'm concerned that I may be dealing with something similar with my older brother...

I'm sorry to hear about your older brother. If you need someone to talk to about those types of issues, you know I've got some experiences to share.

Yeah, knowing the story and having played the bass, you can see why that it is my number 1. :love::cry::confused::cool: I don't even know what to say.

• Members

Oh I wouldn't say 'worse' at all, just different, its amazing how different each pic is.. Its cool that you treasure it, I paint, draw, photograph and have never given any of my work to anyone 'cos I figured why the hell would anyone want any of MY artwork!

• Moderators

Oh I wouldn't say 'worse' at all, just different, its amazing how different each pic is.. Its cool that you treasure it, I paint, draw, photograph and have never given any of my work to anyone 'cos I figured why the hell would anyone want any of MY artwork!

I have lots of artwork in my house from myself and my friends and loved ones. I find it to be the most meaningful. If you sent me one of your photographs (easier to send then paintings and drawings), you can bet it would be framed and displayed. Make it bass related and it will be in my music area.

• Members

I have lots of artwork in my house from myself and my friends and loved ones. I find it to be the most meaningful. If you sent me one of your photographs (easier to send then paintings and drawings), you can bet it would be framed and displayed. Make it bass related and it will be in my music area.

:D

'fraid nothing bass related yet!

http://s209.photobucket.com/albums/bb145/RUSSELLMURCHIE/

• Members

Coincidently, I also have an architectural art collection. I really like a lot of your pictures. I'm going to have to find the right one to integrate into my house as long as you are cool with that.

If theres something there you like, as my way of thanks for the time you have put into your setup threads I'd be happy to!

• Moderators

I would have left the original background as well. Nice painting. His last name is Getz? It wouldn't be Bernard would it? I wondered what happened to that guy. If it's him I'd definately take him along if you go on a subway ride....

That required a little google action on my part. :thu:

Archived