My pepper plants are rock'n it

Psilocybin

• Members

My garden consists of Jalapeno, Thai Dragon, and Habanero peppers. I've already been able to pick a few of the jalapenos. The dragons have a lot of peppers on them that are still green (red when ripe). My habaneros have not yet converted from blossoms into peppers. I hope they do their thing before the first frost.

The plan is to use these peppers for some of my kick ass hot sauces. I'm not quite sure on the best way to store my jalapenos until the habaneros are ready. Any suggestions?

• Members

Balancing preserves color, neutralizes bacteria and enzymes to prevent spoiling, enhances flavor by releasing bitter acids in some vegetables, and softens the flesh of the pepper, allowing air out during vacuum packing.

• Members

Get two bowls, a wire strainer, a wooden spoon, and some freezer bags/containers.

Roast the peppers over high heat (gas is best) to char the skins all over. Place them in a paper bag to cool.

Once cooled, hold the peppers a bowl to catch the juice, peel off the skin, then pull out the cores and attached seeds. Drop the skins and cores into the catch bowl with the juice. Halve the peppers and remove any remaining seeds into a catch bowl. Put the cleaned peppers into a second bowl.

Set the wire strainer over the bowl containing the cleaned peppers, and tip the skins, cores, seeds and juice into the strainer. Press the stuff in the strainer gently with the back of a spoon so that all the juice drains over the cleaned peppers. Discard the stuff in the strainer.

Place the cleaned peppers in containers with tight fitting lids, mark them with the date, and freeze.

• Members

no pics but i have 4 sandwich bags full of various peppers in my freezer from this year. i have already used about a half of a bag this year in different recipes and infusing some oil. its the only thing in my garden that did well this year.

MMMMM!!! Hot peppers. Infusing some oil is a great idea. I'd also infuse some Vodka and Tequila as well.

I had a bunch of Jalepenos, Habs, Scotch and Thai peppers last year. I put them in the food dehydrator for a number of hours along with slices from an onion and a few cloves of garlic. Once dried, I ground them with some black peppercorns and made the greatest powdered spice ever!!

• Members

MMMMM!!! Hot peppers. Infusing some oil is a great idea. I'd also infuse some Vodka and Tequila as well.

I had a bunch of Jalepenos, Habs, Scotch and Thai peppers last year. I put them in the food dehydrator for a number of hours along with slices from an onion and a few cloves of garlic. Once dried, I ground them with some black peppercorns and made the greatest powdered spice ever!!

this oil (olive oil) has oregano, basil, garlic cloves, black pepper and salt. its very good.

Archived