Remedy for a noisy bass (for the passive electronics whizzes out there)

Phantasm

• Members

Ok, I've got a passive bass, P/J configuration, with a single volume and a single tone knob. There's also a switch to choose P, J, or P+J.

I love the sound of the bass, just there's some groundy-type buzzing and stuff going on when I play it. (Pardon me here if this is normal, it's been a whole lot of years since I've owned a relatively inexpensive passive-only bass.) When I touch the strings, the buzz improves.

So how do I remedy this problem? The bass works great, just has a noise floor that I'd like to reduce.

• Members

Ok, I've got a passive bass, P/J configuration, with a single volume and a single tone knob. There's also a switch to choose P, J, or P+J.

I love the sound of the bass, just there's some groundy-type buzzing and stuff going on when I play it. (Pardon me here if this is normal, it's been a whole lot of years since I've owned a relatively inexpensive passive-only bass.) When I touch the strings, the buzz improves.

So how do I remedy this problem? The bass works great, just has a noise floor that I'd like to reduce.

has it always done this?

does it stop when you touch the strings?

are the electronics properly shielded?

• Members

has it always done this?

does it stop when you touch the strings?

are the electronics properly shielded?

Well, I just got the bass today and it's from 1989, so I don't know if it always was a little noisy. It has been since I picked it up from the post office today.

It is greatly reduced when I touch the strings.

When I open the back cavity, the only foil I see is on the cavity cover plate.

Archived