Sweaty Hands

PaulyWally

• Members

I keep a towel on my amp and wipe my face and hands after almost every song. When I use a pick, they also are the ones that have some type of grip surface in the middle of the triangle. I also bring an extra change of clothes.

Men after my own heart.

Especially ThudMaker.

:p

The hands don't bother me, but I rain.

• Members

Our band in New Orleans(late 1980's) had studio time in a windowless studio one August evening. Their air conditioning cratered that afternoon. We(guitar player & myself) reached into our toolbags and pulled this our(100% cornstarch is the main thing..NOT talc).

BabyPowder.jpg

After about 1-1/2 hour, we were done and SOAKED except our hands were still dry. I believe this "trick" was learned accidentally after having done diaper duty and then going to a practice in a warm humid place and GEE, dry hands! Works for summer outdoor gigs also(just don't wipe the excess powder on black pants!).

• Members

mine don't sweat like they used to: but when they did, they would be terrible! The worst part was starting a gig with bright new strings only to have them rendered dull by the 3rd song! But I don't have problem so much now cause my hands don't sweat as much...when I was young, I was either very nervous or over excited on stage. I couldn't believe how my strings would lose their brightness so quick even when using a pick! There are some good suggestions in this threat, like Corn Starch. And now I use nickel strings ....new SS Rounds are so dry with deep grooves just waiting for dirt and sweat to clog 'em up....I find nickel a bit more resistant

• Members

Our band in New Orleans(late 1980's) had studio time in a windowless studio one August evening. Their air conditioning cratered that afternoon. We(guitar player & myself) reached into our toolbags and pulled this our(100% cornstarch is the main thing..NOT talc).

BabyPowder.jpg

After about 1-1/2 hour, we were done and SOAKED except our hands were still dry. I believe this "trick" was learned accidentally after having done diaper duty and then going to a practice in a warm humid place and GEE, dry hands! Works for summer outdoor gigs also(just don't wipe the excess powder on black pants!).

I saw an older bassist used that before. I couldn't remember if it was talc or corn starch, but after seeing your post, I'm pretty sure it was corn starch.

• Members

slightly unrelated, but the drummer in my band sweats like you wouldnt beleive.

and he's a hugger.

he usually plays shows in his underpants so he doesnt ruin his clothes.

and on cold nights at our practice room, the sweat visibly evaporates off him like steam

one time, he was slouching against the carpetted wall and curtain for a few minutes, then got up for a smoke.. i sat down to jam on his kit and my shirt got soaked from the carpet and curtain

its a stink that wont wash off...

• Members

When you play, and your hands sweat, do you do anything to dry them? Or do you just deal with it?

I have used anti-perspirant in the past... but it never really worked well.

wash them dont put on any chemicals to control the sweat but keep a couple of clean and well washed hankies..cotton..and use them to wipe your hands..keep track of the dirty one and put it away before using the next clean one...

rub the strings and neck with a lint free separate cloth:)

Archived