Learning question

claypoolfan

• Members

Just wanted some learned opinions on this. Once you have the first position memorized(notes), what do you thing is the easiest method from there? Try and learn the whole second position next or go ahead and learn say A through C all the way down the neck and then learn the next five notes all the way down and so on? I don't know if I'm making sense but hopefully someone will get this and give me some help. Thanks.

• Members

There are a number of ways but I'd probably do something like figuring out how many basic G rooted arpeggios you can find on the neck. Start with E string, third fret and go from there. Play them Root - third - fifth, change positions and play fifth - root - third and third - fifth - root. Get the G B D in your head and fingers so well that you can play it any darn place you please. then do it with A...

BTW, Claypool is the cousin of a good buddy of mine. He's only met him a few times when he was a kid but my buddy's dad knows him really well. Cool, eh?

• Members

There are a number of ways but I'd probably do something like figuring out how many basic G rooted arpeggios you can find on the neck. Start with E string, third fret and go from there. Play them Root - third - fifth, change positions and play fifth - root - third and third - fifth - root. Get the G B D in your head and fingers so well that you can play it any darn place you please. then do it with A...

BTW, Claypool is the cousin of a good buddy of mine. He's only met him a few times when he was a kid but my buddy's dad knows him really well. Cool, eh?

Arpeggios I do practice but only for like a quarter of my practice time. Guess I'll up that. thanks for the advice.

Very cool on the Les thing!

I got to see the Quonset Point, RI, Lollapalooza show(92 0r 93, I think), with Primus, Rage Against the Machine, Alice In Chains, Tool, Arrested Development, Front 24 and Fishbone. Been addicted to Les ever since. Primus was alot different live. Faster and crispy. They got the biggest pit going. Fishbone was pretty hot for some funky bass too. That was a crazy show. People had a huge bonfire going right inside the venue area(outdoors) and where moshing over it.

• Members
That's not a whamola, this is:

whamolalgry3.jpg

What Les is playing there is just an electric upright.

I couldn't get that picture you used to load, as that was the first one I found. You are absolutely correct. I guess I didn't look close enough when I posted my other shot, my mistake.

• Members

Just wanted some learned opinions on this. Once you have the first position memorized(notes), what do you thing is the easiest method from there? Try and learn the whole second position next or go ahead and learn say A through C all the way down the neck and then learn the next five notes all the way down and so on? I don't know if I'm making sense but hopefully someone will get this and give me some help. Thanks.

Why not learn the fretboard?

Just what are you calling the first position? and why?

You're right it don't make no sense.

• Members

Why not learn the fretboard?

Just what are you calling the first position? and why?

You're right it don't make no sense.

The first position is the four bare strings plus the first four frets(a full scale). the next five frets are the second position(a full scale), with five total positions(and scales) on the fretboard.

Basic stuff I thought.

• Members
The first position is the four bare strings plus the first four frets(a full scale). the next five frets are the second position(a full scale), with five total positions(and scales) on the fretboard.

Basic stuff I thought.

So what position would you call it if you played a C on the A string?

• Members

Now a fifth above...what position?

I started the thread to try and learn the whole fretboard, stating I only have memorized the first position and scale. I was asking for opinions on learning the rest of the fretboard and what may be the easiest method. I like Emprov's suggestion. I went and played with abunch of the G B A combos and think I was learning more notes south of the fifth fret.

I'm more than willing to admit I don't know the answer to your question. If you could answer your own question for me I'd be learning something else.

If I had to guess I would say the tenth fret on the D string (being the next C, 5 up).

• Members

Ok, i'm just trying to show you NOT to relegate yourself to the position talk.

You'd be the only one knowing what you meant anyways.

I think, though i'm not positive, that talk of positions is only a teaching tool, not an application tool.

Can anyone verify this?

Ah, I see.

But now I curious, what is a fifth above the C?

• Members

Wow Rouge, thanks for that man! thats an easier one to read than the one I drew with paper and pen. I'm printing it right now as a poster. Thanks again.

Not a Problem Bro

that one is kind of rough but will do.

I am planning on drawing up a really nice one like a poster size chart with a diagram of the major, Chromatic, Pentatonic Datonic scales, arprggios and and some other good basic stuff.

you have probably noticed that starting at about the F# major scale follows a certan pattern pretty much all of your major scales will follow that same pattern all the way up the neck.

Remember up is down and down is up:thu:

• Members

Ok my man. :thu:

I'll say this before i venture any farther...get away from that position stuff, the way you describe it is wrong to begin with...why you ask?

Your using a 5 fret position theory. Your first position makes sense as you have one finger per fret for 4 frets with your drone (open strings) that cant be moved; so they're there no matter what.

This is where your position reasoning falls apart:

the next five frets are the second position(a full scale),

You only have 4 fingers so given this 5 frets of a position...you have to change your position to reach all 5 frets, so there goes your position theory.

If i remember right (having only ever heard of it) the positions follow frets...first fret/first position...2nd fret/2nd position...etc.

To answer that question: a fifth above is the fifth note of any musical scale.

A fifth above C in the major scale would be going up to G the 5th note. 1-Do 2-Re 3-Me 4-Fa 5-So...thats how it works on any instrument in Western Music. Using "your" position as a guide, to go to that 5th you would have to change to "your" second position. Which is unnecessary if you learn scales and modes...everything will be right under your 4 fingers.

The positioning reasoning you used just overly complicated everything.

Archived