Computer issues, and other things breaking

Optimus Prime

• Members

On Tuesday I decided I was going to wipe my computer because it was messed up. The first time I tried the setup froze when it was trying to load a file. So I had to restart :mad: . It got through with no problems. So I started updating it. I got about 20 updates and then it wanted me to install Service Pack 2. I have a "copy" of Windows XP Pro and a CD of Service Pack 2. I installed the pack and then went to update some more. It installed about 80 updates and wanted me to restart. So I did. When it was about to get to the log on screen it restarted and just started looping shutting down at the same time. So I re-installed Windows :mad: . It froze again and I gave up for the night. So last night I tried again. I got back to the Service Pack thing and I was stupid enough to try and update again. The start up started looping again. Then today I started again. I finally got it to work. I have all the updates up to Service Pack 2. Which I don't want to install because that's were it starts to {censored} up. I'm missing Service Pack 2 and 100+ updates. Can I live without all that stuff? I just need a new compute r this one is like 7 years old.

AND, ALL THIS OTHER {censored} STARTS TO BREAK :confused::mad::cry: . My fan broke, so my room is like 130 degrees, my alarm clock starts blinking every time I turn the alarm off. How does and alarm clock break :confused: ? I finally sent my iPod off to see what's wrong with it.

AND I ONLY HAVE $200 AND NO PAYCHECK THIS WEEK. {censored}! :mad::mad::mad: !

Any ideas why all my stuff is breaking? Karma? I don't deserve this {censored}. I know this is long, confusing, and bitchy, but I needed to vent. I swear once I buy an new computer I'm going to shoot this one.

• Members

I deleted everything, created a new whatever it is, and reinstalled Windows.

but you didn't FORMAT it...it sounds to me. Deleting everything IN Windows, then creating a partition is different than formatting, and then creating a new partition. If you have issues AFTER formatting (if that is indeed what you did), then you have a defective HD or other critical component.

• Members

but you didn't FORMAT it...it sounds to me. Deleting everything IN Windows, then creating a partition is different than formatting, and then creating a new partition. If you have issues AFTER formatting (if that is indeed what you did), then you have a defective HD or other critical component.

It brought me to a screen, I deleted a partition, made a new one, and installed Windows. Is that wrong? I could get it installed but the updates are what were messing it up. After the Service Pack it wanted to install like 80+ updates. Once those were done it restarted and started looping.

• Members

It brought me to a screen, I deleted a partition, made a new one, and installed Windows. Is that wrong? I could get it installed but the updates are what were messing it up. After the Service Pack it wanted to install like 80+ updates. Once those were done it restarted and started looping.

I'll admit, I hate doing this in XP/Vista. I miss my old DOS command prompt OUTSIDE windows where Windows didn't matter. Let me remember how to pull up a format command...

EDIT: here's a link for you.

http://www.tippscout.de/formatting-format-drive-c-in-xp-or-windows-2000-and-erase-all-data_tipp_2629.html

If that's what you did, yes, it should be fine.

• Members

I'll admit, I hate doing this in XP/Vista. I miss my old DOS command prompt OUTSIDE windows where Windows didn't matter. Let me remember how to pull up a format command...

Can I live without Service Pack 2 and all these new updates until I can buy a "real" copy of XP/Vista? Which will be a month or so. Thanks for the help.

• Members

So I can, but I shouldn't put any real important stuff on there in case it {censored}s up?

I wouldn't install jack on it personally. Less secure...less functional...more like current date Vista...hmmmmmm.....yeah. Get a real copy of Windows (as MUCH as I hate saying that...grrr....death to Vista/XP legitimate verification!!!!!) if it weren't for the fact all my hardware is now incompatible with it, I'd go back to 98 SE!

• Members

I wouldn't install jack on it personally. Less secure...less functional...more like current date Vista...hmmmmmm.....yeah. Get a real copy of Windows (as MUCH as I hate saying that...grrr....death to Vista/XP legitimate verification!!!!!) if it weren't for the fact all my hardware is now incompatible with it, I'd go back to 98 SE!

So I'm musicless, and pretty much everything elseless for a month or so?

• Members

No, I missed the link. If I do that then do all the updates I should be fine?

That's not what I did...

Go back and do that. Then it should run like butter. I just restarted, sorry for the long delay.

On a side note...I hate how RESTARTING windows all of a sudden makes things work....like photobucket and office depot's websites...wtf....

• Members

Go back and do that. Then it should run like butter. I just restarted, sorry for the long delay.

On a side note...I hate how RESTARTING windows all of a sudden makes things work....like photobucket and office depot's websites...wtf....

Ha, I've never had any big problems like this, but this is pissing me off.

• Members

/taunt&jest

What are you gonna INSTALL on it? Hmm? iTunes and call it done? Definitely not anything not iPatible.

/endtaunt&jest

I just had to install word, PPT, and excel as I'm going to use it for school and work. The only other thing I need is an Adobe reader. Everything else I want to do with this is on here, I.E. garage band, Iphoto etc.. After going through my options, the Mac fits the bill exactly and then some.:D

Dan

Archived