i need some ideas for a research paper

jonathan_matos5

• Members

Can it be over anything? If so, go with something you're relatively knowledgable about to make life easier!

If I were you I'd follow this topic: research the growth of Christianity in Roman antiquity after the rise and conversion of Constantine as told through Christian, Jewish and pagan art, focusing on church art and catacomb frescos.

:D

• Members

Can it be over anything? If so, go with something you're relatively knowledgable about to make life easier!

If I were you I'd follow this topic: research the growth of Christianity in Roman antiquity after the rise and conversion of Constantine as told through Christian, Jewish and pagan art, focusing on church art and catacomb frescos.

I have an idea for you. I'll send you my address. get 10 million people to each send me a dollar, then report on the results.

• Members

Want a guaranteed good grade? Do your paper on global warming. It doesn't have to be accurate or even factual as long as you come to the politically correct conclusion and it's a subject near and dear to your teacher's heart. Your "A" is in the bag. :thu:

• Members

Just make sure not to list wikipedia as a source, even if you use it as a starting point, or if you base the structure of your paper around it.. Profs hate it because it makes writing papers too easy.

So, how long does it have to be? How soon is it due?

• Members

Just make sure not to list wikipedia as a source, even if you use it as a starting point, or if you base the structure of your paper around it.. Profs hate it because it makes writing papers too easy.

So, how long does it have to be? How soon is it due?

simple 5 paragraph essay 2-3 pages about a week it will be due. id be done in about 3 hours if i had the topic picked out:rolleyes:

• Members

I'd write the paper on the 4 different PR models and write the pros and cons of them and write case studies on which they worked great and other times when they worked bad. But that is just me. That stuff is very interesting to me, but it may put you to sleep if you did the research for it and it may bore your prof to death if he/she has to read it :idk:

• Members

simple 5 paragraph essay 2-3 pages about a week it will be due. id be done in about 3 hours if i had the topic picked out:rolleyes:

Well, since you're not going to be able to go that far in depth you probably want to pick something really easy to simplify.

I think Leo Fender is a fine choice if it's remotely interesting to you. Just go with it and start looking for good reference materials. If you can find books they usually go over much better as sources than web pages. I don't think you're likely to find much in academic journals, but it's worth a shot. Profs like academic journals, even when the content is poor or not very closely related to the topic.

Just do the Fender one. Most likely the teacher is just trying to introduce students to the format and requirements of a standard college paper. Use APA/MLA citations, proofread the paper and so on... you'll be fine.

• Members

I'd write the paper on the 4 different PR models and write the pros and cons of them and write case studies on which they worked great and other times when they worked bad. But that is just me. That stuff is very interesting to me, but it may put you to sleep if you did the research for it and it may bore your prof to death if he/she has to read it
:idk:

I'd be hard pressed to write that paper in 2-3 pages.

:p

• Members

The purpose of the 5-pgh. essay is to help you see the use of different pgh. patterns.

1) Elimination (Say what you like & don't like about Fenders, which helps "explain why you chose your topic" without using that phrase. Draw even the disinterested reader in by describing the feeling of

a) playing a work of art/

b) anticipation of getting a new or first instrument/

c) an experience burned into your psyche, etc.

This pgh. shouldn't need citations, as you're speaking as a familar party/expert)

The three central pgh's are your "evidence" for your opinion. A narrative/descriptive/expository paper won't need many sources. But a persuasive/argument paper should nail your point home with as many reputable sources you can find.

2) Chronology/Ranking (Explain how Fender has influenced music/pop culture history. Alternately, you can rank the company's achievements from least to most important)

3) Compare & contrast (Fender vs. its main competitor(s))

4) Spatial-Process (Describe a guitar, the manuf. plant, etc. from start to finish/ outside to inside/ top to bottom)

You can use any one pgh.-type throughout the body--even the whole paper--if it suits your approach.

5) Repeat-Parallel (Reinforce the importance of your topic by repeating a structure like this three times:

Fender________ is/helps/etc.____________.

It______________.)

Now you're armed and dangerous! :rawk:

• Members

Profs hate it because it makes writing papers too easy.

No, profs hate it because it's bad research, and it proves that you are a lazy student not bothering to go further...

Next time I teach a class, I'll have a clear "no wikipedia" policy, with a no grade policy attached to it... :mad:

• Members

Taken theology courses? LOL

• Members

freshman comp 1:thu:

Research paper for freshman comp -- you gotta give us more. Like, say, the directions (and topic suggestions, if any) provided by the instructor?

Otherwise you risk wasting a {censored}load of time and energy on a paper that does not satisfy instructor expectations.

I'm better at making suggestions if you got some details. :wave:

• Members

5) Repeat-Parallel (Reinforce the importance of your topic by repeating a structure like this three times:

Fender________ is/helps/etc.____________.

It______________.)

Now you're armed and dangerous!
:rawk:

I work with Engineers so I have to keep it simple for them...

1) Tell 'em what you are going to tell them (why it's important)

2) Tell them (detail to match the audience)

3) Tell them what you told them (Summary of why it's important to do as you suggest)

Years ago, I suggested we hire some English majors to help the Engineers write...since most the bosses were promoted from the Engineering ranks, they never understood why...

• Members

I work with Engineers so I have to keep it simple for them...

1)
Tell 'em what you are going to tell them (why it's important)

2) Tell them (detail to match the audience)

3) Tell them what you told them (Summary of why it's important to do as you suggest)....

That's a good rule-of-thumb. It yields a tight opener like this. It's important to know that a company called Fender makes the single best electric guitar in history: the Stratocaster. At least it's important to aspiring musicians, who might waste years--if not decades--searching for the right sound, sidetracked by gregarious paintjobs and pointy-edged bodies. So follow my synopsis of Fender's history and building-process, and I'm sure you'll agree with my verdict.

That shows Elimination by saying this report is at least important to aspiring guitarists/songwriters/producers, whether or not it's critical to most fans. General pgh.'s need at least five sentences though, so try a personal-emotional intro like this. (See point 1)c) quoted in the post above.) Burned into my fondest memories of my adolescence--and likely millions of other musicians worldwide--is the first time I heard a guitar solo by Iron Maiden guitarist, Dave Murray. My life would never be the same.

Imagine giving a presentation/narrating a documentary. Can you see a montage of the band on a screen behind you? With a sublime guitar solo right on cue? See what's missing from the three-sentence version?

Archived