Binkley report!!! Uhura cast!!!!!!

Funkee1

• Members

Zoe Saldana Cast as Lt. Uhura!!!

Zoe Saldana will play Uhura in J.J. Abrams' Star Trek at Paramount Pictures.

In the original "Star Trek" TV series, Uhura - which means freedom in Swahili -- was a member of the bridge crew of the U.S.S. Enterprise who rose to the rank of commander. Nichelle Nichols played the Starfleet Academy alum in the series.

Saldana joins the previously-announced Zachary Quinto, Leonard Nimoy and Anton Yelchin. The film revolves around the crew's early days at Starfleet Academy.

Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci wrote the screenplay and will executive produce alongside Bryan Burk and Damon Lindelof. The film is set for a Christmas Day 2008 release.

Saldana recently wrapped the Sony thriller Vantage Point and is currently filming James Cameron's Avatar.saldanastartrek.jpg

I was hoping for Kerry Washington, but this works for me!

• Members

There's a soft spot in my heart for the original; I didn't see it in it's original run, but watched the first batch of reruns, the ones that really began the phenomenon. TV Land has begun showing the originals and while I cringe at times, some of the episodes stand up pretty well.

• Members

There's a soft spot in my heart for the original; I didn't see it in it's original run, but watched the first batch of reruns, the ones that really began the phenomenon. TV Land has begun showing the originals and while I cringe at times, some of the episodes stand up pretty well.

Sure Shatner overacts, and the sets were bad, and the clearly rubber monsters weren't impressive, but the stories were masterworks (most of the time.....) and way ahead of their time.

Anyone remember the one with Frank Gorshin as one of the two survivors from a planet destroyed in a race war.

"I can't associate with him cause he's black on the right side! We're black on the left! They must be destroyed!!!)

Or the rock monster? (no kill I)

• Moderators

Well, Uhura couldn't be cast as an ugly woman, now could she? Zoe's got it going on.

TOS is still the best of all the Trek series, IMO. The cheesy sets are all just part of the atmosphere. Lots of one's to like there. If you read between the lines, there were always timely, important social issues the episodes addressed.

• Moderators

I saw the very first episode aired, a so-called "sneak preview" episode the week before the new season actually started.

Archived