is it too early to start learning christmas songs?

jonathan_matos5

• Members

Generally a group that is wanting to do specific Christmas material needs to be getting a good idea of what to do in late August to September. I'd say you're right on schedule.

sweet :thu: its more for my personal enjoyment than anything. if i get some recording stuff between now and then ill post the end result of my "work":thu:

• Members

sweet
:thu:
its more for my personal enjoyment than anything. if i get some recording stuff between now and then ill post the end result of my "work":thu:

Just be sure which ones you post.

I only say that because certain Xmas songs are copyrighted still. Such as: "Let It Snow."

Unless you are like me and don't give a {censored}. :D:freak:

• Members

Just be sure which ones you post.

I only say that because certain Xmas songs are copyrighted still. Such as: "Let It Snow."

Unless you are like me and don't give a {censored}.
:D
:freak:

its public domain:cool:

i think only bass and drums would be different enough that i could copyright it as my own.

:idea:paging kindness

• Members

Now is as good a time as any especially if you want to get creative with them and do them in an "unexpected" style or arrangement. That's what we did in our church group for our Colors of Christmas CD we recorded a couple of years ago. Started Silent Night just as a nice soft acoustic guitar solo and then after the first "verse," we added acoustic bass, flute, clarinet, and sax and took it straight to Dixieland Jazz style! It's quite often people's favorite cut! We do Angels We Have Heard On High as a jazz instrumental in 5/4... We have two originals on it, Mary Did You Know is done in almost a Bossanova vibe, stuff like that. You can't start on 'em too early if you want 'em to come to you second nature-like when you have to perform them.

• Members

10 years ago, I'd say it's ALWAYS too early to start Christmas songs.

But I'm getting more open minded in my old age, so yeah, anything that causes practicing.

Hmm... Chestnuts Roasting On An Open Fire on fretless. With way WAY too much sliding. :thu:

• Members

Early? No.

But Christmas songs? Pfft.

I disagree. When I hear a band play a X-Mas song or three at that "special" time of year, I listen to the arrangement. If it's corny or clearly poorly conceptualized, then they should be shot for lack of effort.

But a band who puts their own stamp on it- dig it!:thu:

Funny- as I write this I am listening to Sufjan Stevens Songs for Christmas box set. This is one of the best christmas albums ever!

Sufjan is an amazing artist imho.:wave:

Archived