1x15 or 2x10 ... best choice?

dolt45

• Members

It's time to get a new amp. I like the convenience of a combo and we're not playing outdoor events nor huge venues, so I figure an amp ranging from 100w - 200w should be fine. I'm also hoping to keep the cost to around $400.

My current amp is a Peavey TKO 80 which is a 1x15. I'm playing a Fender P-bass straight in for about half our songs, then through a Big Muff for our other songs. Style-wise, we're kind of a blend between Boss Hog, The B-52's & The Buzzcocks.

Since I've only owned a 1x15 ... my questions are:

- how would a 2x10 configuration affect my tone?

- which set-up will have richer low end when I play clean?

- which has good low end but won't be too muddy when I run through the Muff?

Thanks!

• Members

If I end up at a guitar center (or the likes) I'll definitely be testing out a variety, but as I look through local classifieds I won't have that option - at least not in one place. So I'd like to know some of the different characteristics of 1x15 vs. 2x10 so that I don't waste anyone's time if I go through a private seller.

• Moderators

I'd like to know some of the different characteristics of 1x15 vs. 2x10.

There are none. Cabinet design is significantly more complicated than that and anyone that gives you generalizations on configurations rather than information about specific products is wasting your time.

• Members

If I end up at a guitar center (or the likes) I'll definitely be testing out a variety, but as I look through local classifieds I won't have that option - at least not in one place. So I'd like to know some of the different characteristics of 1x15 vs. 2x10 so that I don't waste anyone's time if I go through a private seller.

Don't waste your time at GC. Your in Chicago. Go to that awesome place in Alsip. What's it called again? Otherwise, go to Chicago Music Exchange and Make N Music. Anybody know if Gand is still around?

• Members

i have used a tko 15"..think it was 60 watt though..and old one

and recently used a church's bass mans rig...4x10

admittedly a 2x10 is not quite the same but the multi speaker set up was cleaner on the low end

i was using my P/J special on P only pup..normally it sounded muddy

sold now..the fender i mean

• Members

- how would a 2x10 configuration affect my tone?

- which set-up will have richer low end when I play clean?

- which has good low end but won't be too muddy when I run through the Muff?

Thanks!

51p.jpg

Both sound pretty good IMHO. :D

A 2x10 will give you a nice, articulate tone with quick response.

A 1x15 will give you bottom for days.

If you're using a Big Muff, the 2x10 may be a better choice. Ideally you could run both cabs and route the wet signal with effects into the 2x10 and the dry signal without effects into the 1x15---which means you need a cross over or a biamp, and I'll leave that issue for others to address. :D

• Members
51p.jpg

Both sound pretty good IMHO.
:D

A 2x10 will give you a nice, articulate tone with quick response.

A 1x15 will give you bottom for days.

If you're using a Big Muff, the 2x10 may be a better choice. Ideally you could run both cabs and route the wet signal with effects into the 2x10 and the dry signal without effects into the 1x15---which means you need a cross over or a biamp, and I'll leave that issue for others to address.
:D

I personally find 15s to lack definition, and would go with the 2x10. YMMV though, and I will echo Emprov and say try them, and pick the one you like!

• Members

There are none. Cabinet design is significantly more complicated than that and anyone that gives you generalizations on configurations rather than information about specific products is wasting your time.

What? You're clueless, Cochise. Why don't you go and learn a few things about amps, cabs, basses, and picking up sleazy drunk girls before you try to come roll with the big dogs? Run along now, you're stinkin' up my porch.

Where was I? Oh yeah. 2x10's have more midrange and are a little louder than 1x15's, but 1x15's handle lows better. You should definitely buy a 2x12.

C7

• Moderators

What? You're clueless, Cochise. Why don't you go and learn a few things about picking up sleazy drunk girls before you try to come roll with the big dogs? Run along now, you're stinkin' up my porch.

C7

I'm on it. I'll report back with details soon. Including pictures.

• Members

Thanks all!

@ bassgeek - I didn't think of running both ... hmmm, more $ than I got right now though. Thanks for the idea.

@ crescent seven - thanks for succinct answer.

@ kindness - I understand every piece of equipment will vary between manufacturer and price range. And of course things can be "modded" ... but around that $400 mark my options aren't that vast. Understanding that a 2x10 (or 2x12 as suggested above) should give me a more distinct response helps my search.

Who knows - I may end up with another 1x15 if a particular model (that I can afford) sounds better to me. Hell, who knows what I'll end up with once I get out there and try some different amps with my gear ... regardless, I appreciate all the info.

Archived