Question about P/J bass configs

skatalite

• Members

I'm looking at this cause it's mighty fine:

http://www.rondomusic.com/spjash.html

spjashna5.jpg

Now, I've never used a P/J before, but was curious: if I were to get one, I'd put a Quarter Pounder in the P slot. If I decided to turn down the jazz pup and just run the P pup, would the output/sound be the same as a normal P bass?

Thanks for any info.

• Members

It's pretty darn close. I have 5 P/J basses and for the most part, unless I want some more bite, I turn the Jazz way down or off completely.

Awesome. Cause that bass above is a beauty, and I've fallen in love with my P; so I'd like something I can run as a P only but have an extra option if need be.

• Members

basses all look nice...to a greater extent

for me and my experience with P/J..i only got good results from the P on its own

the J on its own was a laugh and together the J hadnt the guts to push the middle range enough

that was with stock pups..fender vintage

if i had to use a P/J together i would make sure the J had more output...which is hard with a little spindle and winding space..but maybe possible with down rating the P ...with a more sensitive vol pot...or blend

bottom line for me is one pup or at least both the same K ohm ratings and design

• Members

I've the same bass in a P shape, and I hardly ever use the J pickup. Try out the stock P pickup for a while though, I was pleasantly surprised by it. Good tone, if a little weak.

Gotoh 201 bridge fits perfectly on that, however. :)

• Members

I got three P/J basses and they all sound very different.

The Reverend sounds good in every way, but has most balls on the J pickup. The J pup is louder than the P anyway. The P doesn't sound that aggressive, but has a nice tone nonetheless.

The Fender only sounds good with both the P and J turned up. Just the J sounds too weak and the P sounds to polite to be called a real Precision sound.

The Squier is originally a P-bass with just a P pickup and sounds very aggresive using just that one. I had a J pickup installed which sounds really good. Turning both of them up sounds thin, but using just the P or just the J sounds fantastic.

Conclusion: P/J basses can sound very, very different. Try using different settings and find out.

• Members

basses all look nice...to a greater extent

for me and my experience with P/J..i only got good results from the P on its own

the J on its own was a laugh and together the J hadnt the guts to push the middle range enough

that was with stock pups..fender vintage

if i had to use a P/J together i would make sure the J had more output...which is hard with a little spindle and winding space..but maybe possible with down rating the P ...with a more sensitive vol pot...or blend

bottom line for me is one pup or at least both the same K ohm ratings and design

Try this, P on full, J on somewhere between 1/2 and 3/4s, you'll hear it when you get to it! I'm a J guy pretty much, but this balance always produces a nice tone, IMO. :thu:

• Members

I'm looking at this cause it's mighty fine:

http://www.rondomusic.com/spjash.html

spjashna5.jpg

Now, I've never used a P/J before, but was curious: if I were to get one, I'd put a Quarter Pounder in the P slot. If I decided to turn down the jazz pup and just run the P pup, would the output/sound be the same as a normal P bass?

Thanks for any info.

That is pretty darn nice.

I had a Fender California P Bass and I couldn't tell the difference because it has the best of both worlds.

I sold it because I didn't like the neck; it was too thin for me.

• Members

My P/J with a Quarter Pounder soloed sounds almost exactly like my P bass with a Quarter Pounder in it.

The different tones out of the P/J make it my favorite. Watch out soloing the J though, unless it's something like a SD Hot Stacked Jazz humbucker it will probably make some noise.

Yo.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

From a tone standpoint, what do you think of the Hot Stacked Jazz??

When I solo it, I get this thin, growly, funky, almost Blood Sugar Sex Magic, like tone. Add it to the SD 1/4 Pounder and you get the P sound with some more bite/grind/growl. When they are both on, it sounds more like the P than the J.

When I routed out the bridge J, it was the tone I've always been looking for.

My bass playing is a lot better than describing things but I hope that helps.

Yo.

PS Sorry for the delay. I missed this one somehow.

Archived