Fender bass users...Vintage or New?

karaoke

• Members

Better sounding..no difference really. Playability wise there is a big difference. Vintage basses just feel better.

To expand on this a bit, I've played a few 70's Fenders as well as one 50's P bass (can't remember which year) and none of them sounded any different that I could tell but they all played really well and the necks felt super comfortable. Both basses had excellent setups as well so that helped.

Dan

• Members

The only thing that I can think of is that the wood on the vintage has had 30 years or so longer to dry out. Drier wood = more resonance and warmth. That being said, just about everyone these days is after more of a hify sustain, pretty much the exact opposite of vintage warmth. I think that the new ones are probably better built basses and the playability is going to be much more consistent from bass to bass, just my guess. And, part of the problem with basses that old is that, much of the time, you don't have the opportunity to play them before you plunk down your hard earned cash. While some of the older Fenders are amazing players, some are absolute dogs.

• Members

Some would say that the vintage instruments "speak to them tonally" but for (at least from what I can determine) very subjective reasons. The value that has been attached to vintage instruments is amazing to me. I'm much more practical than that but still can't seem to shake my curiosity towards the "vintage craze." They DO appeal to me, but I don't really know why. Maybe its because I don't have the disposable income to pick one up so its out of my reach. Maybe its the history, I don't know. The quality is certainly excellent but the same can be said of today's instruments.

I guess what I'm saying is that- No, I don't have a suggestion why or why not vintage may be better sounding. Sorry.

• Moderators

Well ,there is a good reason why the older P will sound better, because it is a true P, not some deluxe active EQ and goofy humbucker derivative. :p

Comparing a vintage P to a American P, or better yet an American Vintage P, there is no reason one should sound better than the other.

• Members

'70s Fenders can be dodgy propositions. Quality control was nearing rock bottom near the end of the CBS era. There are nice players out there, though, and I'd want to play before buying.

I think some older basses have a vibe. The wood has aged, the neck has worn in a bit, and they're comfy like an old pair of jeans. I have a '62 Jazz reissue I bought new in 1987. I just had it refretted, so it should be good for another 20 years. :D

• Members

I would play a bunch of new ones. I think the vintage are way over priced and I don't buy this wood dried out so it sounds better stuff. With the vintage, it's an ambience thing, that's all.

Of course, this could be that I remember what they cost new back in the late 60's and 70's.

Archived