teach me about Grounding

Jim-Bass

• Members

I could look this up on Wikipedia or something, but would rather have a bass players words...

I'm a player, I have little knowledge of electronics. I know what a circuit is ... open/closed/circuit breaker...that's about it.

On the back of my pratice amp is a switch: Ground/Lift. I know that grounding pretty much means in contact with the ground ( I think :lol:) but what's Lift for? I have a 100w Combo, and to avoid too much floor rumble and give it mobility, I have it on a little set of wheels: it's just a little wooden platform with wheels ....not attached to the Combo...should I flick the switch to 'Lift'?

I've never had a problem concerning grounding, but I hear a lot of stories: beware of this and that.

So, anyone, Grounding in regards to an amp - what's the deal? No big words please :freak:

• Moderators

The lift is used to prevent ground loops when you are using an output from the amp and running it into another electronic device that is grounded to a different reference voltage. By flipping the switch, you are disconnecting the amp from the grounding (earthing) wire from the power cord.

You should leave the switch on ground and don't change it unless someone that knows better than you do changes it for you.

• Moderators

It wouldn't have been the worst, but no need to do it. I also didn't mean that last part as being condescending, but it sure looks that way now. I just meant, don't worry about it or even think about it unless someone running sound has a problem and asks you to flip it.

• Members

I also didn't mean that last part as being condescending, but it sure looks that way now. I just meant, don't worry about it or even think about it unless someone running sound has a problem and asks you to flip it.

hey no, I didn't take it that way - was a good answer, thanks :thu:

Archived