The Jena Six

burdizzos

• Members

This is going to get ugly.

I'm starting this thread to ask everyone on the Bass Forum to keep the discussion about this topic civil.

There is a lot of information available about this case, I'd encourage everyone to at the very least read the wikipedia entry to familiarize yourself with the various aspects of the incident before going off on a rant for one side or the other.

I know, wikipedia isn't perfect, but until someone can provide a better source for the history of this case, I'll use that as a source.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What is there to really say? From my POV, it's a classic case of racism from both sides of the fence. I could write a novel about it, and it won't change anything.

But as for the beating... I don't think it had anything to do with racism. While that may have been an initial factor, I don't really believe it was the motivation at all for the beating. When you push someone so far back into a corner, they're eventually going to fight back. I don't care who you are or what species you are. It boils down to survival at that point.

That said, Justin Barker probably got more than he deserved... arguably. But I've learned from experience that it doesn't matter who you are or what you did. If you push a man past his breaking point, you are going to get far more than you deserve. You're going to get all the aggression that has mounted up to that point.

Discrimination or not, that's something that the judicial system does not take in to account. We're supposed to be held accountable for our actions. And our actions are supposed to reflect an "appropriate response". But that's rarely the case since that's not human nature.

God help the entire town.

• Members

Where I come from, six on one is not a fair fight. They swarmed the kid and messed him up. I don't care why because once I hear that it was six on one it doesn't matter. I think the punishment is a bit much, but I also believe that they should be charged and tried as adults and given adult sentences - does it really take six guys to beat up one? They took it too far. I can understand their feeling the need for retribution regarding the nooses on the tree, but their reaction was way too overblown.

This has turned into a media-circus and a way for Sharpton to call attention to himself. The man makes his living by benefitting from the misfortune of others. He's a joke and an opportunist and generally only has his own self-interest at heart, and the fact that the town of Jena had to close for business today because of these protests is proof of that.

Six on one is just wrong, no matter who you are.

• Members

I think they should have been charged with Aggravated Assault and the trial should have been moved to a different location.

Given the history, there's no way those kids are going to get a fair trial in a town of 4000 people that is 85% white.

Charging them with attempted second degree murder allows the court to set a higher bail amount which was beyond the resources of those charged.

These guys aren't saints by any stretch, but the charges are unreasonable and this little backward town is going to suffer for it.

• Members

From http://www.jenasix.org/ :

17-year-old Robert Bailey Junior -bail was set at $138,000

17-year-old Theo Shaw - bail was set at $130,000

18-year-old Carwin Jones - bail was set at $100,000

17-year-old Bryant Purvis - bail was set at $70,000

16 year old Mychal Bell - bail was set at $90,000

Mychal Bell remained in jail from December 2006 until his trial because his family was unable to post the $90,000 bond. Theo Shaw has also remained in jail. Several of the other defendants remained in jail for months until their families could raise the money for bond.

• Members

First and foremost, the most ridiculous thing to come from this government is the idea of the 'hate' crime. Well the homeland security color codes maybe beat that. :rolleyes:

Second, there seems to be plenty of blame to go around here and the effectiveness, once again, of our government schools must be questioned.

Other questions and observations.

How can a community of blacks complain about an all white jury when none of the 350 blacks summoned showed up?

The defendant has a violent history but so what? This is predjudicial information that has nothing to do with the case. It appears moot however, the defendant was let off of any adult criminal charges anyway. As it should be, given todays new standards of etiquette.

This is but another example of whites going way too far. We have got to get used to living with the new double standard that exists here in the good ol' U.S. of A if we're going to all get along. David Bowie has it right.

• Moderators

Here's a little something off that jenasix site . . . .

" Friday night, December 1st, a black student was beaten by a group of white students at a "white party".

Saturday, December 2nd, at the Gotta Go convenience store, the black student who was beaten up the night before, along with his friends, ran into one of the white students who beat him. A confrontation broke out and the white student went to his vehicle to get his shotgun. The black students wrestled the shotgun away from him and brought it to the police department and told them of the incident. The black students were arrested for stealing the gun. The white student was not charged."

Something isn't right in that town, period. It's obvious the powers that be won't do anything to whites and Al and Jesse won't do anything but fan flames.

• Members

ah....gotcha. How long have Jesse and Al been on the war trail? Since December? I bet they could have helped raised bail for them in a week if they wanted to.

That's a good point.

They were too busy trying to separate themselves from the Duke Lacrosse case at that point. Sad, but true.

Then, once that was forgotten, they were too busy trying to bury Imus to care.

Now that the cases are finally going to trial, there's an opportunity to help.

• Members

Here's a little something off that jenasix site . . . .

" Friday night, December 1st, a black student was beaten by a group of white students at a "white party".

Saturday, December 2nd, at the Gotta Go convenience store, the black student who was beaten up the night before, along with his friends, ran into one of the white students who beat him. A confrontation broke out and the white student went to his vehicle to get his shotgun. The black students wrestled the shotgun away from him and brought it to the police department and told them of the incident. The black students were arrested for stealing the gun. The white student was not charged."

Something isn't right in that town, period. It's obvious the powers that be won't do anything to whites and Al and Jesse won't do anything but fan flames.

They turned the gun into the police? Yeah, right. If they did now THAT is a first.

Archived