Would it be stupid...

Super_Donut_Man

• Members

... to put a humbucker (Like: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/document?cpd=0OEY&doc_id=99371&base_pid=517540&index=0 , or maybe a MM style)

where the neck pickup used to be on a Fender Jazz. Its MIM, I got it for $200, in pieces right now waiting for paint, and the pick guard would cover any mistakes or rethoughts?

Just curious, the thought just popped into my head.

• Members

You can put it wherever you want. I can't think of much that would be considered "stupid" cause it's all about personal taste.

You won't get a typical MM sounds from it cause (as sludgebass said) that comes from a bridge PUP. You're going to get somewhat of a P-bass sound from putting it in the neck position. Essentially, you'll have something of a PJ when you're all done.

However, you can run a switch (or something) to tap the coils on the humbucker. My guess would be, you could get a classic J sound with only one coil on. You can't quite get a classic J sound with a P+J. That split coil P PUP just fattens it up too much.

just my .02

• Members

Seymor Duncan any good too?

They make quality stuff... it just depends on whether or not you like the SD sound.

IME, SD's tend to give off a very clear tone with a bit of a scoop in the mids. They're not overly forgiving, and they really capture the attack of the string.

As for Barts... well... they are in a class all their own. Not that they are necessarily "better" in any way (again, personal preference). But you can pull a lot of different tones out of an active Bart setup - from hi-fi to a classic thump.

Archived