CD ripping legality question

Captain Fathead

• Members

My friend has been buying music on itunes, and whenever you buy an album, it can only be played on the computer you downloaded it to unless the buyer enters a code. He can only enter the code 5 times (maybe 10), but that means potentially 5 different computers can have a cd a guy bought once. My question: is it legal to lend my cds out to be ripped? Logic would say they could be ripped five times each, right?

Also, what about cds from the library? They're public property, so can I rip them?

• Moderators

Yeah, I figure one or two out of 600 aren't that bad... Problem is, many of my CDs are boxed at my parents house in Indianapolis, some are in storage, etc. It's hard to remember what's mine and what was given to me. I blame ipods.

As long as you aren't out there actively downloading for yourself and spreading content to others, what more can you really do?

• Members

Yeah, I figure one or two out of 600 aren't that bad... Problem is, many of my CDs are boxed at my parents house in Indianapolis, some are in storage, etc. It's hard to remember what's mine and what was given to me. I blame ipods.

I know the feeling. Back in college I worked as a DJ some around campus. I collected CD's from the 80's and early 90's. i have boxes of cases and the CD's are in a seperate box, loose in a pile, and almost all are ripped to my PC.

It would take months for me to match the cases to each song on the iPod... But hopefully the FBI and RIAA agents who monitor this forum for leads are on their way to your house and not mine! :)

• Members

Read up on the Audio Home Recording Act. I believe it was passed in the early 80s and dealt with things like dubbing tapes and recording albums to tape to give to your friends. It is legal in these cases (making a copy for your friend), but computers weren't included in the act so there's a gray area involved here.

Archived