Would You play Music You hate Just to get Gigs?

lyricpoet

• Members

I have never had the pleasure of putting my music to CD or vinyl.

My current experimental/noise/electronica group (UVFIC- Upper Valley Free Improvisors' Collective) is contemplating a LIMITED RELEASE 1 SIDED 7" 45 rpm with full color sleeve. Heh heh...one song of obliterating noise for $3.

Back to reality- and hence the question.

I certainly have- for 7 years!:mad: However it wasn't all bad so I voted "occasionally....".

• Members

No. But I live in this magical place where I put up a "Bass Player Available" ad on Craigslist, and in a matter of hours I have several dozen people on my doorstep with kneepads on.:D

A few years ago my wife and I discussed moving to Billings, MT. One of the "cons" on my list is that I'd have to join a country band, or not play any gigs.:D

C7

• Members

Sure. $250 a wedding, plus mileage, plus overtime, many weekends a year, for the past 5 years. Very few of those songs are enjoyable.

In every band I've ever been in, there are songs I've really not enjoyed playing at all. We used to do "Five Long Years" in this one blues band I was in, and the drummer used to roll his eyes and look at me and say "Five Long Minutes".

Used to crack me up. :D

• Members

We don't. And while it may cost by not playing the younger clubs where all they want is 80's tunes or Nickelback/Bon Jovi, there's never a shortage of 'older' clubs that fit us like a glove asking us back. The wineries, private parties and corporate gigs where the ones doing the booking seem to have a lot more cash to throw around don't hurt either. We try to stay away from the standard covers in the older genre you hear at every club as well. Thinking if we can do this successfully with slightly more obscure material that we love, why not keep doing it?

• Members

As i'm not a profeesional, no. Perhaps two or three tunes that i don't really like in the set list, but none i hate.

But if i was pro, i would do it very often.
:rawk:

Dude, if you're doing gigs and getting paid you are a professional- by its very definition.

I hate the term "semi-pro"- it's as if you do only 2/3 gigs a month that you can't be lumped in with those that do it for a full-time living. That whole idea must've started at the Guitar Forum(s).:p

• Members

If you live in Columbus Ohio and you are a bass player you'll always play music you hate just to have a gig.

Columbus was the quaylude capital of the world in the 80's and the effects are still showing. Wow, People are dancing lets play something slow so they leave.

• Members

I don't play in cover bands, and I don't generally write stuff for my own bands that I don't wanna play... so no :o

the closest I've come to playing the stuff I hate is just filling in for friends of mine in other bands when they can't play. if I'm not a full-time member of the band, I'm not gonna argue with the setlist

Archived