2X8-Ohm cabs vs 1X4-Ohm cab?

Kellraj

• Members

I play a P-bass through an Ampeg SVT3-pro rig, with 8-ohm Avatar 4X10 NEO and 2X12 NEO cabs.

I find myself pushing this rig to the max on my current gig, and sometimes feeling like I don't have enough volume and definition- sometimes I increase my attack to compensate.

I've been considering moving to a GK1000RB or a more powerful SVT-Pro (2 or 4).

What about the idea of using a single 4-OHM cab instead of the 2X 8-ohm cabs I'm currently using? What would you expect the results of this approach to be?

Any thoughts welcomed...

• Members

The single cab will be much quieter.

How much power does your SVT3-Pro amp have? It should be plenty to be heard far above a drummer.

Try messing with the eq a bit. Sometimes with bass, the "smilie face" eq shape is not a good choice. Try boosting the mids around 250Hz - 400Hz. That frequency is easily heard above the guitar but not if you're using the smilie face eq.

I personally use a Square Root sign shaped eq.

I hope you understand what I'm trying to type. I'm almost confusing myself.

Oh, yeah, welcome to the forum. :wave:

• Members

You are not going to find much more volume with an SVT-2 or SVT-4 than with a Gk1000RB. Ampeg's watts are just so bloody quiet imho, especially the SVT-4.

I'd recommend going to a Gk 2001RB and running two 6x10s or 4x12's if you need that much volume.

2 x 8 ohm should work out to be around the same ohms as 1 x 4 (since you're hooking them up in parallel you're going to get a division of ohmage).

If you're running short on volume, more speaker area is going to be much more important than a higher wattage amp, btw.

You could consider, also, getting an amp that goes to 2 ohms and hooking up two more 8 ohm cabs. I think that'd work.

• Members

Interesting. So by square root sign shaped EQ do you mean that you boost the lowest frequency a bit, maybe cut 80Hz to 150Hz, and then boost the higher frequencies?

My amp is 450 at 4ohms, and 275 at 8. I definitely keep up with the drums, but still feel like a need more definition.

Thanks for the response...

How much power does your SVT3-Pro amp have? It should be plenty to be heard far above a drummer.

Try messing with the eq a bit. Sometimes with bass, the "smilie face" eq shape is not a good choice. Try boosting the mids around 250Hz - 400Hz. That frequency is easily heard above the guitar but not if you're using the smilie face eq.

I personally use a Square Root sign shaped eq.

Oh, yeah, welcome to the forum.
:wave:

• Members

I guess it's just loosely based on a square root sign. I boost the higher frequencies a little bit. I boost a little around 80-120 Hz. I cut alot around 400 Hz and then return to normal around 800 Hz. But that might not work for you. I play in a country band and we like the muddy undefined tone.

If you want really defined tone, a good frown should do it for you. It's easier to hear the mids and a lot of people don't hear the lower bass frequencies very well no matter how much power is behind it.

My amp is only 250 watts at 8 ohms. I've never had a problem of not hearing myself. My drummer is kind of a wimp though.

• Members

A 3-Pro should be loud as hell with that much speaker surface. As STFF said, watch your EQ. Don't--and I repeat DON'T!--use the Ultra Low switch. It'll eat up your power trying to reproduce all that low end. Some people have also had success running the master volume wide open and using the gain to adjust the overall volume. You can also use the level control on the EQ to add some additional volume.

• Members

You can find the math about it online but increasing speaker area (within reason) with the same ohms load will give you more volume. It's not 3db but it's something. Try positioning them stacked or side by side, maybe you'll get something out of that. Check the phase of the speakers with a 9 volt battery to make sure they are all the same. Also, watch EQ settings. Dropping the lows and bumping the mids a bit will cut through better. Also, check way out front with a long cable. Bass volume changes withg distance and where you're standing can be a quiet zone.

• Members

Thanks for all the great tips on using my SVT-III Pro! I played two large outdoor gigs this weekend, and the suggestions paid off immediately. My tone was very defined- with a fantastic vintage grind to it. Turning off the ultra low switch, and setting the master and tube gain knobs to 10 were really the keys to using this rig better.

• Members

if you want louder, you'll need more speaker area, so two 8ohm cabs would be the way to go. I'd also second the EQ thought, although on my Genz Benz I use what would approximate an inverse smiley, then I give the lows a little bump anyway just to keep it sounding bassy, but if it starts to get boomy I cut back. I cut through like a razor, and im competing against two peavey 100W all-tube heads with 4x12 cabs and a loud ass drummer, and I'm not even pushing my amp to its limits. Granted its 1000W but so what! The same principle applies. I'd definitely consider getting the GK though, although it will definitely be a sonic change for you. Make sure you try one first to know its your cup of tea

hope that helps

• Members

I've gone with the "square root" setting someone suggested- essentially with the lows flat, lower mids boosted a bit, a fairly big cut at 600Mhz- and then some boost with the rest of the highs.

I play in a U2 tribute band. I'm definitely interested in P-bass tweaks- I've been considering switching over to one of my backups for a change of pace: an Ephiphone Jack Casady, an old MM Sabre (geat sound, but heavy).

Thanks!

Glad to hear the EQ change helped! Approximately what are you set at now? And what kind of music are you playing?

For that P, I have a few suggestions if you need some fine tweaking.

• Members

If you're wanting a little more volume...and a little more tone, try setting your knobs all flat, with a minor bump in treble and mid. Try this setup on the EQ too. (0-10, 0 being bottom, 10 being top of the EQ) and I'll go progressive for each band, starting far left going right. 4,5,6,3,2,3,6,5,7. It looks odd, and I know it cuts mids...but some basses really like the definition it adds. Play around with the mid selector switch to see if you can't get it really nice.

Archived