We all know that if it's not gin, vermouth and an olive...

Rowka

• Moderators

Looks like a cool book! My dad got me one on the Zinfandel grape and its origins. Really cool read. The author believes that he has tracked down the boat and that brought over the first Zin vine. It came from Southern Italy, not Croatia as is commonly believed. He also ran DNA tests on it and the type of vine that was in the boat, (CA Zin) as it was the same vine that is commonly planted in that part of Italy. It's called Primativo and it's a genetic match to California Zinfandel. Weird thing though, I've had a few Primativo's and they have different characteristics.

Good wines, though.

• Members

I've heard a lot of stories like that and they are all hard to believe since I don't know who's doing the test, although I'm not a believer in top shelf vodka. I've seen many blind taste test articles where Grey Goose came damn near the bottom.

I'm also trying to find the article about how people use a Brita filter to bump up {censored}ty vodka to good stuff. (Who knows if the Brita filter cost would outweigh the cost of buying decent stuff in the first place, but it is interesting.)

Yo.

• Members

I've heard a lot of stories like that and they are all hard to believe since I don't know who's doing the test, although I'm not a believer in top shelf vodka. I've seen many blind taste test articles where Grey Goose came damn near the bottom.

I'm also trying to find the article about how people use a Brita filter to bump up {censored}ty vodka to good stuff. (Who knows if the Brita filter cost would outweigh the cost of buying decent stuff in the first place, but it is interesting.)

Yo.

For one use, maybe, but Brita replacement filters are pretty cheap.

• Members

Yo.

They did a test on Mythbusters where they filtered cheap vodka up to 10 times to see if they could get it to taste the same as a top shelf. Then they brought in a professional vodka taster and he was able to do a blind taste test and put all 11 in order from cheap - cheap filtered once - cheap filtered twice - etc - etc - top shelf. If was very interesting.

Of course I didn't fact check my recollection at all, so those number could be wayyyy off. I do remember that the taster was able to accurately identified everything.

Archived