We all know that if it's not gin, vermouth and an olive...

Rowka

• Members

Now do you drink the Sapphire or regular Bombay gin? I personally prefer the regular bombay gin with a couple limes...damn good stuff!

Dan

Sapphire, the regular Bombay isn't available over here. I also add 3 slices of lime into the mix, best drink in the world!

• Members

Well, geez, not really surprising results, that's really not a scientifically constructed test. Having the same brand first across the board skews the results. They really ought to have had different orders for each subject to eliminate that factor.

Not all that surprising that there's not much difference, though. I find that there's a marked difference between the low end bargain brands and standards like Smirnoff, but much less of a difference from there on up.

• Members

I'm pretty sure I could tell the difference. I think Sapphire to be a little sweeter and more syrupy. Who knows though, they are both good!

Regular is drier than Sapphire? Haven't heard many say that.

And Tbroom, I've been thinking about gin and vodka snobs during the whole cable thread. I love putting them to a blind test, no one's passed yet :D

I am most certainly a gin snob, and I can tell the difference between Sapphire and Tanqueray Ten, and all other gins. However, I can't always tell the difference between Sapphire and Ten (they're both highly aromatic martini gins), and I definitely can't tell the difference between most gins (excepting the really nasty rotgut stuff).

I was actually really surprised at a party last year when the gin being served was Seagram's, since it's pretty damn cheap but was definitely good. There's no way I could tell it from something like Boodles, which is expensive stuff (as far as gin goes; that's one of the beauties of gin, the best stuff still isn't that expensive).

For Vodka, other than the utter crap stuff, the best I can tell you is if it's American or foreign. I can't tell a damn thing beyond that.

And I've got a darn good palate. I can pick out most flavours out of a meal for instance, or identify many of the component scents in a fragrance (worked with candles for seven years).

• Members

Regular is drier than Sapphire? Haven't heard many say that.

And Tbroom, I've been thinking about gin and vodka snobs during the whole cable thread. I love putting them to a blind test, no one's passed yet
:D

I am most certainly a gin snob, and I can tell the difference between Sapphire and Tanqueray Ten, and all other gins. However, I can't always tell the difference between Sapphire and Ten (they're both highly aromatic martini gins), and I definitely can't tell the difference between most gins (excepting the really nasty rotgut stuff).

I was actually really surprised at a party last year when the gin being served was Seagram's, since it's pretty damn cheap but was definitely good. There's no way I could tell it from something like Boodles, which is expensive stuff (as far as gin goes; that's one of the beauties of gin, the best stuff still isn't that expensive).

For Vodka, other than the utter crap stuff, the best I can tell you is if it's American or foreign. I can't tell a damn thing beyond that.

And I've got a darn good palate. I can pick out most flavours out of a meal for instance, or identify many of the component scents in a fragrance (worked with candles for seven years).

Maybe I put it wrong..not necessarily drier but I find Sapphire to be sweeter maybe? Both are good though and I will gladly drink any of them!:thu:

Dan

• Members

Twist > Olive...

To be accurate....there are a ton of these stories on the internet btw and very few of them closely resemble the Martini that is popular today: Gin with very little Vermouth. Olives are common, as are onion and twists. I go with olives hands down though. Here's some history:

The History of the Martini

The true origin of the martini is draped in mystery! There are differing arguments as to who was the first to create the Martini. Many who claim or have been purported to have created the first Martini have varying recipes and names; none of which exactly fit the Martini recipe that exists today. While opinions differ, the modern day Dry Martini consists of Gin and a varying amount of dry white Vermouth (season to taste). An olive, a twist, or a cocktail onion are all acceptable as a garnish.

The most detailed historical claim begins with a cocktail named the Martinez which was created around 1862. This particular drink of the time called for 4 parts red, sweet Vermouth to 1 part Gin, garnished with a cherry. The first version included aromatic bitters and Old Tom Gin, which was very sweet and incorporated a strong Juniper flavor. The transformation into what is considered a modern Martini happened gradually. First the Old Tom Gin was replaced with London Dry. Orange Bitters took the place of the aromatic bitters. Afficianados began to replace the red Vermouth with a white, dry Vermouth. The proportions of the drink eventually became equal parts and soon the Dry Martini appeared, olive included.

If you dont buy that story, perhaps some of these will win your favor.

In 1870 at Julio Richelieu's saloon in Martinez, California a small drink was mixed for visiting miner. Julio placed an olive in the glass before handing it to the man, then named it after his town. Martinez, California continues to hold claim as the birth place of the Martini.

Jerry Thomas of San Francisco printed a bartending book in 1887 with a Martinez recipe. It called for one dash of Bitters, two dashes of Maraschino, one wine glass of Vermouth, two jigs of ice and a pony of Old Tom Gin, served with a slice of lemon.

There is a story that claims the drink's name came from the Martini and Henry rifle used by the British army in 1871. The hook was that both the rifle and the drink "shared a strong kick."

In 1896, Thomas Stewart published Stewart's Fancy Drinks and How to Mix Them. The book contained a recipe for a drink called the "Marquerite" which called for "1 dash orange bitters, 2/3 Plymouth Gin, and 1/3 French Vermouth."

1888, was the magical year that the word Martini was first mentioned. Martini appeared in the "New and Improved Illustrated Bartending Manual."

Finally, in 1911 at the Knickerbocker Hotel in New York the head bartender, a gentleman by the name of Martini di Arma di Taggia, mixed half and half London Gin, Noilly Prat Vermouth and orange bitters. He chilled the drink on ice and strained it into a well chilled glass. Many visitors to the Knickerbocker asked for variations of the drink and added the olive.

Regardless of the true origin, the quest for the perfect Martini will no doubt continue. Martini bars continue to hit the scene -- and variations of the Martini abound. In the new millenium, it may seem that anything presented in a Martini glass is considered to be a Martini. While that may or may not be true, we advise that you enjoy the moment! If it tastes good, it'll taste even better in a martini glass!

• Members

I can tell what I like, how's that? I've done a few blind vodka tastings and I found that I really didn't like either Absolute or Grey Goose. Absolute tasted like crap compared to some lesser priced vodkas and the Goose had this synthetic fizz on the back end that kind of detracted from the flavor. It's smooth and all but I taste it now every time I have it, kind of like trying not to think about pink elephants I guess.

And Rowka, just order a Vodka Martini, shaken with 2 olives. :thu:

• Members

To be accurate....there are a ton of these stories on the internet btw and very few of them closely resemble the Martini that is popular today: Gin with very little Vermouth. Olives are common, as are onion and twists. I go with olives hands down though.

Oh, I know most of the origin myths :D

I've got this book, present from my grandfather (a huge martini drinker)...

I wasn't making a historical claim in saying twist > olive, I was making a claim of value. Though a twist was the first popular garnish and has been replaced by the olive over the years.

As for an onion, that's generally not called a martini, that's a Gibson.

• Members

Have you done a double blind test yet?

I'm in!

I haven't tried regular bombay since I got the sapphire on a killer sale and liked it. Maybe I'd like the regular.

That does it. I'll find a place that has both and get a shot of each on ice. Sounds good.:thu:

• Members

Oh, I know most of the origin myths

I've got
this book
, present from my grandfather (a huge martini drinker)...

I wasn't making a historical claim in saying twist > olive, I was making a claim of value. Though a twist was the first popular garnish and has been replaced by the olive over the years.

As for an onion, that's generally not called a martini, that's a Gibson.

Looks like a cool book! My dad got me one on the Zinfandel grape and its origins. Really cool read. The author believes that he has tracked down the boat and that brought over the first Zin vine. It came from Southern Italy, not Croatia as is commonly believed. He also ran DNA tests on it and the type of vine that was in the boat, (CA Zin) as it was the same vine that is commonly planted in that part of Italy. It's called Primativo and it's a genetic match to California Zinfandel. Weird thing though, I've had a few Primativo's and they have different characteristics.

Archived