Pots for Fender Precision Bass

lowendnyc

• Members

Hola folks. Got an early 70s Fender Precision Bass with some wiring problems. Googled around and didn't really find the answer, so I ask you: what were the specs on volume and tone pots for my instrument? I noticed my tone pot, which was replaced by a guy who I don't think knew what he was doing, says 250K. Something seems off about it, given that rolling the tone down just kills the volume. Any help with this is quite welcome.

• Members

Just curious, if you want to wire the pickup output directly to the output jack, bypassing the pots, how do you do that? Part of what I'm trying to work out is why this old bass has such low output, and doing this would allow me to rule out the pots as the problem. Given that the pick up is stock and thus "vintage" it would be nice to try to keep it rather than replace it.

• Members

Here:

Pictures.html#details

I-0139.html#details

I believe these were the links you wanted to post:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Supplies:_Wiring_kits/1/Wiring_Kit_for_P-Bass/Pictures.html#details

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Supplies:_Wiring_kits/1/Wiring_Kit_for_P-Bass/Instructions/I-0139.html#details

0139.gif

And for future reference, in SI units a mF, like you had, would be a millifarad (1x10^-3 Farads), what you wanted was a microfarad, uF (1x10^-6 Farads) like Kindness put in.

And as Kindness said, I believe that 0.047 is a more accurate value for the period, if you care about that stuff.

• Members

Just curious, if you want to wire the pickup output directly to the output jack, bypassing the pots, how do you do that? Part of what I'm trying to work out is why this old bass has such low output, and doing this would allow me to rule out the pots as the problem. Given that the pick up is stock and thus "vintage" it would be nice to try to keep it rather than replace it.

Try raising the pickups. That will boost your volume and tone.

• Moderators

The pickup's live wire connects to the output jack's signal lug (connected to the tip) and pickup's ground wire attached to the output jack's ground lug (connected to the sleeve).

• Members

The pickup's live wire connects to the output jack's signal lug (connected to the tip) and pickup's ground wire attached to the output jack's ground lug (connected to the sleeve).

This is the first post that Kindness has posted that I completely agree with. Usually he's completely off base.

I did this with my P bass and it sounded awesome for hard rock, but now that I want to bust some dub styley, I'm going to wire the pots back in. It made my signal supa-dupa-hawt.:D

C7

• Members

wiring to the jack is the way to really hear and set up the bass

if you dont use tone..as i dont

you only need to use the amp vol to cater for any differences

but if you keep a vol pot going ..as indicated..make sure its 250k

also as suggested set up the bass first regarding pup heights and string set up...action etc..

with all the variables out of the way..then you can concentrate on the tone and vol..

meter the pup if you can to see if its up to factory resistance..12k or thereabouts

if possible meter the separate coils...they can be disconnected for that purpose..then both should be 6k or half the total..and both the same...

a pot is a pretty rough attempt at attenuating a signal...

Archived