Can anyone help me with a CuBase issue?

L-1329

• Members

I can't figure out how to get CuBase LE to midi time sync my Korg TR. Here's what I posted in the keys forum...

I am trying to midi time-snyc CuBase LE to my Korg TR 76, and figure out how to record the Korg sequencer synced to CuBase. I have it connected with a USB cable. All I can make from the manuals is that on the Korg I need to set the global midi to EXT-USB, but I can't figure out how to get the software to control the korg. In LE I went to the sync menu under Transport page, and selected 'USB audio device' under 'send midi clock', and 'midi timecode' under 'timecode source'. With these setting I can't get the sequencer to play at all. I can only get it playing again when I switch the Korg global midi back to 'internal'. Any help with this would be GREATLY appreciated!

This one has me stumped...:confused:

• Members

Maybe I misunderstand what you're trying to do.

So you are trying to record the Korg in LE? If so, I'm confused why you would want to send the sync FROM CuBase. I would think you would want to send the sync from the Korg TO CuBase. i.e. 'slave' CuBase to the Korg (not the other way around as it seems you're doing).

Kinda confusing... If you're recording the Korg in CuBase, what is it you're wanting CuBase to control in the Korg.

And for what it's worth, I've never really had any luck with midi via USB. I have an M-audio midi to USB adapter and even when things are 'working' it never really seems to sync properly.

• Members

So you are trying to record the Korg in LE? If so, I'm confused why you would want to send the sync FROM CuBase. I would think you would want to send the sync from the Korg TO CuBase.

Kinda confusing... If you're recording the Korg in CuBase, what is it you're wanting CuBase to control in the Korg.

And for what it's worth, I've never really had any luck with midi via USB. I have an M-audio midi to USB adapter and even when things are 'working' it never really seems to sync properly.

Well, right now I'm just tryin to figure out how to do either way. It would make sense to have LE 'waiting' for the sequencer to start playing before it begins recording but I can't figure out how to do that. Seems all the manuals assume a lot more base knowledge with this stuff than I posess.;)

• Members

If you want the Korg to play a midi sequence in CuBase, set the Korg up to use external clock and Cubase as the master (e.g. send master sync). You should be able to load a sequence in CuBase and listen to the Korg wail. That should be simple/easy to accomplish (aside from potential USB 'compatibility' issue).

If you are wanting to record a midi then the Korg should be the 'master clock' (and CuBase set for 'external midi clock'). Make sure midi input is enabled in CuBase (and select the controller.. your Korg in this case). Also, you might want to see if there is a button/command/etc. to 'accept controller' and 'record to step sequencer'.

My advice is (if possible) to use standard midi interface(s). Does the Korg have a 5 pin midi out? You can get a midi card for the PC for peanuts.

If you are recording analog, make sure CuBase 'sees' your input (e.g. somewhere in the 'preferences/setup' there is a way to select the source). you should be able to monitor the level using the VU meter. I'm not familiar with CuBase. I use Kristal primarily (nice straighforward interface) and just start recording and edit the beginning silence out later. Some s/w (like Fruity Loops) has a 'wait for input to record' button.

• Members

Thanks for the tips. I think I may have some of this figured out, I can at least get the korg to be a slave to the LE time clock. At this point I'm not even trying to learn midi sequences, just trying to get an audio recording of the sequencer playing in time sync. The Korg has a usb midi out that I have run straight to the pc, but as a first attempt I may be seeing some mis-sync happening. At least I can get the master/slave issue under control. So much to learn!

• Members

Sounds like the mis-sync problem I had via the usb midi port. If you ever get it figured out, let me know. I know if I ever buy another midi controller/device/etc. it will have a standard (din) midi ports.

Since you have the Alesis firewire mixer, you might want to experiment/play with some other recording software for your 'direct to track' type recording. As I mentioned, I use Kristal.

http://www.kreatives.org/kristal/

If I wasn't so used to Kristal and had a way to translate all my project files, I'd probably be using N-Track since it's the 'latest & greatest' freeware and seems to have more 'professional' capabilities.

www.ntrack.com

I have to say though, Kristal does everything I want/need and I like Kristals (on screen) interface.. very clean & straightforward.

Both are free (sorta.. n-track is upgradable for $)

• Members

Sounds like the mis-sync problem I had via the usb midi port. If you ever get it figured out, let me know. I know if I ever buy another midi controller/device/etc. it will have a standard (din) midi ports.

Appreciate the tips. The sync issue could still be caused by me since I am trying to learn this setup. One thing I need to learn is how to play midi sequences from LE for the rhythm tracks, that may help with the sync with the other audio tracks. One problem at a time though, have a lot to sort through yet...:cool:

Archived