USA and pollution

Bluescout

• Members

We seem to get blamed a lot but here's another example of how tight our vehicle emissions are. While the rest of the world uses diesels to get more for their fuel money, most passenger diesels aren't allowed to be sold in the US anymore, and NONE in Massachusetts.

Here's the brand new jeep, not allowed in the US.

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2007/autos/0709/gallery.jeep_wrangler_history//index.html?cnn=yes

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Emission tests don't count for much when your burning less then 20 miles to the gallon in a big SUV, the sheer volume of gas the US produces is the problem.

Ok so it's a percentage cleaner than a diesel, but when you are producing over twice as much gas, it's a null and void point if you catch my drift?

Also petrol and diesel is a {censored} load more expensive in the UK for instance.

Are you also saying that your emission laws are more strict than ours for instance?

IMO that doesn't say much about the US and i'm not sure what your point is? That seems to be a military , not for the general public?

http://www.carsource.co.uk/news-Jeep-Wrangler/JEEP%C2%AE-IS-BACK-IN-UNIFORM/3014380

J8 for the military and the Unlimited for the public, which I assume will be sold in the US infact I bet it will!?

I'm open to being corrected on these points because i'm no expert, but i'm willing to bet that i'm near the mark.

• Members

Also petrol and diesel is a {censored} load more expensive in the UK for instance.

No, it's not.

The Petrol itself is cheaper in the UK. The reason the price at the pump is higher is all the money that's being sent to Westminster (on the measure of 70-80% of the pump price).

Want to spend less at the pump? Go elect a government that will lower your taxes...;)

• Members

No, it's not.

The Petrol itself is cheaper in the UK. The reason the price at the pump is higher is all the money that's being sent to Westminster (on the measure of 70-80% of the pump price).

Want to spend less at the pump? Go elect a government that will lower your taxes...
;)

Without that tax, the riff-raff will be able to afford to be on the rich man's road! We'll have none of that! :mad:

• Members

I can see why your the king and hes just a minister :thu:

But of course you are right KK due to the north sea oil, however the only way we will get a fair government into office is via an uprising and then in a few years i'm sure the elite will corrupt that one....

Did you know that every nut and bolt in the millennium stadium cost over

• Members

Your emission laws are stricter than most, because most other countries don't have any.

Due to the cooperation of european and japanese car manufacturers, there are no enforcible standards in europe so far.

Interestingly, a test conducted by the european automobile associations showed that diesel-powered passenger vehicles are among the cleanest in europe.

The top ten in may 2007:

Toyota Prius 1.5 - hybrid

Volvo V70 2.4 Bi-Fuel - natural gas

Honda Civic 1.3i-DSI - hybrid

Skoda Octavia Combi RS 2.0 TDI - diesel

Skoda Octavia 1.6 FSI - gasoline

Saab 9-5 SportCombi 1.9 TiD - diesel

BMW 318 D - diesel

Audi A6 2.0 TDI - diesel

Opel Zafira 1.6 CNG - natural gas

Citroen C5 Break 1.6 HDiF 110 FAP - diesel

Link here, unfortunately only in dutch.

• Members

Yeah, there was allot of corruption, and no one was brought to justice for it.

What really pisses me off is that if you rob a bank without hurting anyone, you can get serious time. But if some board of directors rips off hundreds of thousands of people stealing their pensions... more often than not, they don't even go to jail!?

• Members

For instance, Ford makes a diesel Focus in europe (don't know what they call it) but it's not allowed here in the US. I guess it will be soon. They're aiming for diesels that are so clean they can be emission tested by the same machines they test gas engines with.

• Members

For instance, Ford makes a diesel Focus in europe (don't know what they call it) but it's not allowed here in the US. I guess it will be soon. They're aiming for diesels that are so clean they can be emission tested by the same machines they test gas engines with.

I love my focus, and would so replace it with a diesel one if it were available. Prolly the wagon version.

• Members

I can see why your the king and hes just a minister
:thu:

But of course you are right KK due to the north sea oil, however the only way we will get a fair government into office is via an uprising and then in a few years i'm sure the elite will corrupt that one....

Uprising? Y'all already let 'em take all yer guns, ya bunch-o-nincompoops. Ya got no chance...NO CHANCE! :eek:

• CMS Author

Yeah, there was allot of corruption, and no one was brought to justice for it.

What really pisses me off is that if you rob a bank without hurting anyone, you can get serious time. But if some board of directors rips off hundreds of thousands of people stealing their pensions... more often than not, they don't even go to jail!?

Do some research on the ENRON cases. People do jail time.

It's the ones that do it and don't get caught that piss me off.

• CMS Author

Your emission laws are stricter than most, because most other countries don't have any.

Due to the cooperation of european and japanese car manufacturers, there are no enforcible standards in europe so far.

Interestingly, a test conducted by the european automobile associations showed that diesel-powered passenger vehicles are among the cleanest in europe.

The top ten in may 2007:

Toyota Prius 1.5 - hybrid

Volvo V70 2.4 Bi-Fuel - natural gas

Honda Civic 1.3i-DSI - hybrid

Skoda Octavia Combi RS 2.0 TDI - diesel

Skoda Octavia 1.6 FSI - gasoline

Saab 9-5 SportCombi 1.9 TiD - diesel

BMW 318 D - diesel

Audi A6 2.0 TDI - diesel

Opel Zafira 1.6 CNG - natural gas

Citroen C5 Break 1.6 HDiF 110 FAP - diesel

Link
here
, unfortunately only in dutch.

What pollutants were they measuring? Diesel and gasoline engines have some common emissions, and some that differ. For instance, diesel have an extremely high particulate content...essentially carbon soot IIRC.

• Members

Which commercially diesel or petrol vehicles have the best milage on average?

Anyway, big, gas-guzzling cars aren't that practical in Europe. Distances are a lot smaller and it's far more densely populated than the US. Plus fuel prices do tend to be a lot higher, and public transport use is far more widespread.

Different places!

But yeah, developing countries are fast catching up in terms of pollution. India and China especially, I read somewhere that China is now officially the #1 polluter in the world. But nobody wants to piss them off or else they'll sneak lead into all our kids' toys or something...

• Members

What pollutants were they measuring? Diesel and gasoline engines have some common emissions, and some that differ. For instance, diesel have an extremely high particulate content...essentially carbon soot IIRC.

The "high particulate content" is coming way down and will be in line with gas engines soon. The VW Touareg has very high injection pressure but still not sold in Mass.

EDIT: the big thing I'd like to see is diesel hybrids. Now THERE will be some mileage.

• Members

The "high particulate content" is coming way down and will be in line with gas engines soon. The VW Touareg has very high injection pressure but still not sold in Mass.

EDIT: the big thing I'd like to see is diesel hybrids. Now THERE will be some mileage.

What, with propane gas? The increases won't be as good as pure LPG, since all the propane gas will achieve is a full burn of all the diesel in the combustion chamber... meaning less fuel has to be added for the same amount of power.

You can't run a diesel engine on a standard lpg injection system, and diesel fuel, due to the design of the engine, you might be able to purpose build or heavily modify one but I don't know...

LPG does less miles to the gallon afaik, but it is cleaner and much cheaper.

• Members

The ranking is based on a weighted score of NOx, CO, CO2, HC, PM (Soot) and fuel consumption.

• CMS Author

What, with propane gas? The increases won't be as good as pure LPG, since all the propane gas will achieve is a full burn of all the diesel in the combustion chamber... meaning less fuel has to be added for the same amount of power.

You can't run a diesel engine on a standard lpg injection system, and diesel fuel, due to the design of the engine, you might be able to purpose build or heavily modify one but I don't know...

LPG does less miles to the gallon afaik, but it is cleaner and much cheaper.

You're talking about LPG Fumigation. Basically like N2O for diesel engines, but with lower emissions and no risk of engine damage. Allows more complete combustion of the diesel charge, and adds a bit of power because it burns as fuel too. Still a PITA since you're dealing with two fuels

Archived