Buying and installing a new hard drive

Apendecto

• Members

I've never installed one before so I'm not sure what I'm doing.

I pulled out the hard drive of my friends computer. It's older and has and IDE connection. If I go to some computer place, are they going to still sell these or have they moved on to newer technology?

And lets say I do get one, either from a store or newegg.com, is there anything to installing it? Plug in it, done?

Thanks.

Yo.

• Members

PC hard drives now come in SATA (a newer technology) or the older IDE models. If you are replacing an older IDE hard drive, most stores like Best Buy or CompUSA still carry 1 or 2 models in the older IDE technology. (I have not upgraded my PC to use SATA yet, so i had to add an IDE drive to hold my videos when I started trying to do video editing.)

Basically you have the IDE connector and the power connector. The IDE connector usually has a red stripe on one side to mark pin number 1 which almost always will be on the side towards the power plug. There is ofter a notch in the cable to help make sure it is turned the correct way. Once plugged in, most PC BIOS will detect it automatically. Then you will need to format it with whatever system you wish to use, probably NTFS. Once this is done, it is ready to use and you can start installing the OS and programs...

• Members

Yes, older IDE drives (aka parallel) are still sold basically everywhere.

You have to set the jumper correctly on IDE drives. If you only have one hard drive, set the jumper to Master. If you're installing as a second hard drive, set to Slave.

Some PC's prefer the Cable Select option (which most of the Dell's in my office do).

• Members

You have to set the jumper correctly on IDE drives. If you only have one hard drive, set the jumper to Master. If you're installing as a second hard drive, set to Slave.

or have them set to cable select (CS) and the drive at the end of the cable will be the primary and the drive in the middle of the cable would be the secondary.

• Members

or have them set to cable select (CS) and the drive at the end of the cable will be the primary and the drive in the middle of the cable would be the secondary.

I ran into issues using cable select before (this was late 90s though), so I've always used Master/Slave to remove any possible doubts. If mobo makers have made the CS option more reliable then that option is even more of a no-brainer.

Archived