Grossman is our starting quarterback...

Emprov

• Members

NOT!

linky

Griese to replace Grossman at QB for Bears

NFL.com Wire Reports

The NFL Network's Adam Schefter has confirmed that Brian Griese will start at quarterback Sunday for the Chicago Bears.

Griese will replace Rex Grossman, who threw three interceptions as the Chicago Bears fell to the Dallas Cowboys 34-10 on Sunday night and did not get a vote of confidence from his coach a day later.

"Will Rex Grossman start Sunday?" coach Lovie Smith asked on Monday, repeating the question. "Well, our evaluation process is going on right now, and if you come out to practice Wednesday, you'll have a better idea of who will be starting at all positions."

Week 3:

Sunday, Sept. 23

• Moderators

While Griese may be the band aid, the past 2 pre-seasons Kyle Orton has outperformed both QB's. I predict that Griese will be the QB until the Bears are out of the playoff hunt and then Kyle Orton will get the nod from then on. I also predict that Grossman will be put out to pasture never to see an NFL sideline ever again, except as a female sideline reporter.

• Members

I'd like to see Griese win some games for the Bears (unless they're playing the Pack).

I always liked the guy. Probably cause he followed that dickhead Elway, and everyone compared Griese to him.

He was a good QB that just didn't have the resources to build off of.

my .02

• Moderators
Guys... None of you really watched Griese with the Broncos, did you? Compared to the Bears, he had a superior coach, superior o-line, superior receivers, and superior running backs with the Broncos & he still sucked it. I wouldn't pop too many corks.

We're not expecting him to be great. We'd just like a QB who can average better than a 25 passer rating. I think Griese can handle that.;)

• Members

Guys... None of you really watched Griese with the Broncos, did you? Compared to the Bears, he had a superior coach, superior o-line, superior receivers, and superior running backs with the Broncos & he still sucked it. I wouldn't pop too many corks.

I'm not popping corks. I've been saying he's not the only problem, but at least it will end the debate (temporarily). I'd rather see Orton in there, but again, at this point I just want to see what everyone's got so the debate can can stop.

I think Thud nailed it. If the playoff hopes fade we'll see Orton, but I don't see them going with any of these three guys next year. The revolving door continues to spin.

• Members

We're not expecting him to be great. We'd just like a QB who can average better than a 25 passer rating. I think Griese can handle that.
;)

Hmph. Didn't you even read the article? Rex has a 45.2 passer rating, he's fulfilling your requirement and then some!

And Greise's had starting gigs on two other teams, he's more than earned his backup role.

• Members

While Griese may be the band aid, the past 2 pre-seasons Kyle Orton has outperformed both QB's. I predict that Griese will be the QB until the Bears are out of the playoff hunt and then Kyle Orton will get the nod from then on. I also predict that Grossman will be put out to pasture never to see an NFL sideline ever again, except as a female sideline reporter.

Orton has gotten such a raw deal. Getting pulled in the middle of a winning rookie season (in the middle of a game they were winning) was a {censored}ty thing to do.

Kyle is actually built like a quarterback and his recievers have said he's got the best arm of the three. Let him develop some more... I'd like to see that.

• Members

Guys... None of you really watched Griese with the Broncos, did you?

Considering he was my FF QB for 2 years... yeah, I watched him pretty closely. And I think he was much better than you're giving him credit for. I also think that's the exact attitude that caused him to struggle for so many years.

But hey... that's just my opinion.

• Members

Considering he was my FF QB for 2 years... yeah, I watched him pretty closely. And I think he was much better than you're giving him credit for. I also think that's the exact attitude that caused him to struggle for so many years.

But hey... that's just my opinion.

His stats were decent (better than Elway's :o), but he didn't win.

• Members

His stats were decent (better than Elway's
:o
), but he didn't win.

Exactly. He has all the physical skills, but he doesn't have the head for it. One of many, many players who have the potential to be much better that they wound up being. Jeff George anyone?

• Members

As happy as I am to see a change made, if the O-line doesn't get better quick it's not gonna make a huge difference......

If you look back to Orton's rookie season, he was what? Something like 10-1? It was because the Bears were pounding the ball down everyones throat. Everyone knew they were going to run and they still couldn't stop them, but the O-line was younger and better then.

• Moderators
As happy as I am to see a change made, if the O-line doesn't get better quick it's not gonna make a huge difference......

If you look back to Orton's rookie season, he was what? Something like 10-1? It was because the Bears were pounding the ball down everyones throat. Everyone knew they were going to run and they still couldn't stop them, but the O-line was younger and better then.

Don't forget that we didn't have Ricky Williams best laid back pal as our primary running back.

• Moderators
Exactly. He has all the physical skills, but he doesn't have the head for it. One of many, many players who have the potential to be much better that they wound up being. Jeff George anyone?

Let's see . . . . .Griese was 3-2 as a starter with the Dolphins and 5-1 with the Bucs before his season was abruptly stopped with a torn ACL. He posted a 97.5 QB rating the previous year when he replaced an injured Chris Simms for 10 games as a starter (4-6). Griese should be getting more credit than this thread is giving him. It seems once the Denver fans say he sucks, it must be true. He'll do just fine. The next step is to bench Benson and replace him with Garrett Wolfe. Additionally, they need to get Bradley out on the field with Hester as the three of these players give the Bears more speed/better yards after catch than the lineup that has graced the Bears' lineup thus far.

Archived