New Band, New Recorder...

James Hart

• Members

Hey all...

I recently agreed to sit in with an Alt Rock sorta singer / songwriter / guitarist and his similarly skilled brother on 2nd guitar and a Berkley wannabe Phish Head drummer.

I also recently bought a Zoom H2 SD card recorder...

Here are 2 samples of our 2nd gathering. My Bee into my FX board into a 100 watt 1x15" Ampeg the drummer has at the house.

A mellow tune with my noodling through the changes mostly Clip #1

(I was getting a feel for the changes when he started singing... You are hearing me hear / play it for the first time)

and a simple progression with my OLC Thor on the bass Clip #2

(again, seat of our pants... we are going to start actually working on tunes this week. The singer says he was ad-libbing.)

The clips are as recorded by the H2, copied to my drive, loaded into Sonar, cut up & normalized.

I cannot recommend the H2 enough for players that like to record rehearsals :thu:

and I'm digging my new gig too... it's rough / raw, but I like the potential :thu:

Let me know what you think.

• Members

a little out of sync but I think with some rehearsal time to do some refinement it would sound really good. I think if you would have done some multi track recording you could have even cleaned those pieces up quite nicely by editing and mastering the tracks.

those pieces have excellent potental.:thu:

• Members

Thanks... yeah I know they are real rough. This was our second time together (the first was a train wreck of a brotherly power play between the guitarists). The rehearsal was a non structured jam this time at my request. We all needed to open up and get to know each other's playing a bit.

My reason for sharing was the recorder itself... the Zoom H2 is my best investment of the last decade I think.

Once we have songs written / down, we'll be using the drummers multitrack digital workstation and/or my PC.

• Members

Those Zoom recorders are awesome! I have the H4 and I love it
:)

the H4 GASed me up for a bit... but it was a little too much $$$ and had a little bit too many features I'd never use. The H2 suited me perfect :thu:

All the good press / reviews / recommendations the H4 got was the reason I jumped at the H2.

• Members

I have to be honest here..that dude cannot sing

lighten up a little dude, it was the second time these guys ever played together can you sit there and tell me with a strait face you can nail a new bass line the first time you ever try to play it?

if you say yes you are a {censored}en liar.

vocalizing is no different than learning a phrase on a musical instrument.

I am kind of curious now how much that little recorder cost?

• Members

I have to be honest... let me here your stuff so I can weigh your opinion
:)

I like the dudes vocal potential. Is he out of key some... hell yeah, he was ad-libbing words and melody and guitar parts. Pitch control will come with practice and confidence.

Man, I cannot sing either..I am horrible..That's why I don't..I play bass and bang my head and jump around..I leave the singing to my singer..I can't even holler "HELL YEAH" in key..

Sorry man, I was just being honest..yall sounded good..But , I see alot of good bands with bad singers and they are blind to it.

If you want to hear our music then go to http://www.myspace.com/theblacksheepband

And I am not saying Benjie is the greatest singer..But, he can sing.

Didn't mean to offend man. :wave:

• Members

And I am not saying Benjie is the greatest singer..But, he can sing.

it's just a matter of opinion... I can appreciate your tastes and not taking it personally, but truthfully I would pass your guy up cold. I found that style of vocals dated back in the 80s. No dig against the talents involved... tight band and all... powerful riffs and tones... well played! But not my scene for 20+ years.

I'd pick Dan's style & vibe over Benjie :thu:

Good thing we play different styles in different bands :D

I do appreciate the honest feedback.

• Members

Hey all...

I recently agreed to sit in with an Alt Rock sorta singer / songwriter / guitarist and his similarly skilled brother on 2nd guitar and a Berkley wannabe Phish Head drummer.

I also recently bought a Zoom H2 SD card recorder...

Here are 2 samples of our 2nd gathering. My Bee into my FX board into a 100 watt 1x15" Ampeg the drummer has at the house.

A mellow tune with my noodling through the changes mostly
Clip #1

(I was getting a feel for the changes when he started singing... You are hearing me hear / play it for the first time)

and a simple progression with my OLC Thor on the bass
Clip #2

(again, seat of our pants... we are going to start actually working on tunes this week. The singer says he was ad-libbing.)

The clips are as recorded by the H2, copied to my drive, loaded into Sonar, cut up & normalized.

I cannot recommend the H2 enough for players that like to record rehearsals
:thu:

and I'm digging my new gig too... it's rough / raw, but I like the potential

Let me know what you think.

Dude...that Thor {censored}ing rules..clip two sounds killer!

Dan

• Members

You've got some brass ones posting a work tape! The quality is pretty decent all things considered, but yeah, it's little tentative all around. Bass sounds nice. I think the singer has a nice little rasp and warm quality to his voice, but like everyone else he's just sorting things out.

Keep going - I'd like to hear it when it's all together. :thu:

• Members

it's just a matter of opinion... I can appreciate your tastes and not taking it personally, but truthfully I would pass your guy up cold. I found that style of vocals dated back in the 80s. No dig against the talents involved... tight band and all... powerful riffs and tones... well played! But not my scene for 20+ years.

I'd pick Dan's style & vibe over Benjie

Good thing we play different styles in different bands
:D

I do appreciate the honest feedback.

I know what you are saying..But we are old ..we just play for fun and do some old classic metal to entertain..Most of the clubs we play at are metal heads and they love what we do..If I was younger and thought I actually had a shot at the big time I would go with a newer style voclalist.

I am 44 and not going to pretend I am going to go somewhere with my music.

Just trying to have fun.Thanks for the good comments:wave:

Archived