OT: Recommend me an iPod-Car RF adapter

y-o-y

• Members

Does anyone have one that they would recommend?

I have read through a bunch of user reviews of all the different adapters out there, and each model seems to be split down the middle between bad and good reviews. Mrs. y-o-y is not really an audiophile, so I don't need the best sounding unit, just the most reliable one.

I know the RF adapters are not nearly as good as stereos with aux in capabilities, but I am not really interested in replacing the perfectly functional and operational stereo that is in there now.

thanks in advance :)

• Members

I used this Monster Icarplay thing for the longest time. It charges while you play, and it played through RF. Sound quality is acceptable, but what I really hated was the volume drop. Compared to radio and CD, RF'd ipod was way too quiet. By the time you turn up your ipod to match the volume, it was distoring. :

• Members

If your factory stereo has a CD Changer port on the back of it, you can buy a piece for about $60 that will give you an Aux In for your unit. That's what I do and it was far better in sound quality than the RF transmitters that I tried (which all sounded like garbage.)

• Members

If your factory stereo has a CD Changer port on the back of it, you can buy a piece for about $60 that will give you an Aux In for your unit. That's what I do and it was far better in sound quality than the RF transmitters that I tried (which all sounded like garbage.)

Ah! that's a great idea. I'll check it out.

I have also heard that finding a clear open frequency in major metropolitan areas can be difficult with the RF transmitter.

• Members

If it's a standard set of RCA jacks, you can buy a $3 RCA-to-1/8" cable, run it from the back of the player into the cabin, and have the best quality.

• Members

I have also heard that finding a clear open frequency in major metropolitan areas can be difficult with the RF transmitter.

In Austin it really is completely impossible, I know that much. RF here is not a functional option...definitely something to check out before you destroy all the packaging opening the thing up to use.

Archived