When do you know it's time to sell an instrument?

i_wanna_les_paul

• Members

The only bass I sold: Carvin fretless.

Why?

Carvin's customer service had recently pissed me off again. Then I came across a used Alembic Epic that shook my soul.

The Carvin was used as a trade-in, along with some cash to get the Alembic.

The bass I thought about selling: the OLP

It wasn't giving me what I wanted. I started shopping around for what I was looking for. But instead of buying a new bass and trading-in or selling the OLP, I pimped out the OLP with an Aguilar 3-band pre-amp. YOOWWWWW!!

• Members

I've owned and sold more basses than I can recall. In the end I've found what I like and don't like. I now have three basses that I don't ever see me getting rid of. Although I do admit the TF sig came close to going home before she decided to quit being stubborn and give in to my will. Now it plays like a dream with super low action and mwwahh for days. Both the Warwick and the SB2 were instant love. They feel like home and they inspire me. I can honestly say that the TF also inspires me now as well. You don't get rid of basses that insprire you, everything else you can sell off.

Dan

• Moderators

I've only sold one instrument, but I've given away quite a few. I give them away when I find someone that will grow musically from the experience and will value the gift. When the bass will mean something more to the next person than it does to me. The only bass I sold was a gift I had given where the owner came to me two years later and demanded I let him pay for it.

• Members

I sold my first bass around 1977. A 1971 (bought new in 1972) Fender fretless precision. (Natural finish, white pick guard, and rosewood fingerboard.) I modified it with a passive filter and added one knob. (Replaced the knurl knobs with Kustom style knobs.)

The P bass only has one sound, but it's a really good sound. Mine had nine different sounds, six very useful.

I would buy it back in a heartbeat if I could find it. (Probably has frets now.) Never should have sold it.

• Members

I usually sell basses if I find something that speaks to me more than my current bass. That's why I sold my first bass to get the Daion, and later the Bongo and Yamaha to get the Alembic. The Daion will never leave(although it may lose its frets), and I don't think the Alembic will, either.

I've found that I either bond with a bass after a couple months, or never really get used to it.

• Members

I traded in my first ever bass - a Tanglewood P copy in order to buy an acoustic g*****r. Gutted.

The only bass i am glad I sold was a Hohner PJ that was completely {censored}.

I got a 5 string fretless Kramer that has the most amazing sound. Playing it always gives me the "{censored}! Did I just play that fill???" and that's now the standard that I judge any other bass by.

Hence I am selling my 6 string active... Its good, but its not the one.

• Members

When I pick up a bass, say 'meh' and put it back in the rack and grab another, it's time to move the bass along. I won't own a bass I don't play.

+1. I'm having that issue with my Lakland right now. Just got the new amp finally squared away (the EA Micro with a Schroeder Mini 12R), and I can't find any tone on the Lakland to save my life. My SX Jazz is a freakin' monster through the rig though, which is cool (since it will be used for the next show run).

Unless you have that little nagging feeling in the back of your head in terms of "Well, I could still keep it for a little while longer" then just sell it.

• Members

My advice here is to keep all 3 as to relieve yourself of the future "Damn! I wish I never sold that bass!" agony that you will inevitably endure if you do

truth

Both that I'm considering getting rid of are nothing really special. G&L Tribute L-2000 and Schecter DeLeo 5-string. I could replace either of them.

The one I won't sell is my mom's first bass that I currently have. It was the bass I learned to play on, so I don't think it will be going down the road.

• Members
My advice here is to keep all 3 as to relieve yourself of the future "Damn! I wish I never sold that bass!" agony that you will inevitably endure if you do

truth

Bam!:thu:

I've heard way more "I wish I never sold this bass" than "I wish I never sold this cab/head/rig" Way More!

Here's my regrets list (this is going to be painful):

*1963 stock Fender Jazz Bass
*1989 Stingray 5
*1976 Gibson Grabber
*2001 32" scale Alembic Stanley Clarke Deluxe with Sims LEDs and other options too many to list here.
*2002 Zeta EUB Explorer

I wish I just had one of those back in my possession:cry:

I haven't shed a tear for all he rigs I've sold.

If you're going to sell, try and do it one at a time- wait six months before selling the next if at all financially possible:idea:

Meanwhile replace the bass you sold with one of the ones you now want- see how much mojo or inspiration it's giving you a half a year down the road...

Archived