When do you know it's time to sell an instrument?

i_wanna_les_paul

• Members

Yes, I am at a bass crossroads, as it were. I have three basses - and I have probably played through an amp around 12 times in as many months.

So I'm looking at thinning the herd. Unfortunately, I like all the basses I have. They're pretty good - nothing that I'm just dying to get rid of. So it will take some time to decide what all goes.

I think it's finally time to sell the junk and buy the bass that has been haunting me ever since playing one - a Ray 5.

My question (yes, there is one in this rambling) is how do you decide, personally, that it's time for a piece of gear to move on down the road? I'm looking for words of wisdom, I guess.

Thanks,

Dustin

• Members

I have decided to sell.

My MTD and Carvin are going. I've wanted a Modulus for years and now I've decided I've got enough basses - I can do without these basses if I have a Modulus.

My first bass I will never sell. But, sometimes you come across something that rocks your boat even more than what you have now.

• Members

When I pick up a bass, say 'meh' and put it back in the rack and grab another, it's time to move the bass along. I won't own a bass I don't play.

I've owned 30+ basses over the years, so I know what I like. I'd rather sell off a bass I don't play (and give someone else the opportunity to enjoy it) than keep it around gathering dust.

• Members

For me, it is at the point that I realize that the bass is gathering dust because I will always grab another bass in its stead. I'm down to 3 plus the URB. Each is entirely different from the others and while they don't get equal playing time, they each have a niche to fill. When I realized that with this selection I could get almost every bass sound and feel I would ever need, I culled the rest. Someday I'll have the space and money to justify collecting for collecting's sake, but for now my instruments all need playing time to justify their existence. Besides, 4 basses, 3 guitars and a mandolin isn't leaving me wanting for much. :thu:

• Members

Actually, if you can at all afford it-
NEVER!

Sell your rig first, especially if you can get good money when comparing your basses to rig...my.02

Nah, I see it as I have three basses that aren't getting used for their proper purpose. None of them really excite me, either. I still hang on to one thing 78pbass said - The good instruments will inspire you to play something you've never played before. To me, the instruments I want to own are the ones that I pick up and think "this is it" within a few seconds. I remember all the instruments that have made me say that.

Those are the kind of instruments I want to own.

• Members

While I have some nostalgia issues with my old Ibby, it was only right to sell it. It gave me what I needed, a plank to learn on, and then it was done. I'd play and main it, now, if I had nothing else, but it didn't do what I wanted it to.

I currently have five basses, two of which are being ripped savagely apart and so forth(Washburn Lyon - going fretless, Ibanez GIO shortscale something w/ single pickup is getting new tuner, new pup, probably a piccolo setup), My Jazz(never ever letting go), Emily(Peavey Fury II International) is sortofmaybemight be up for sale, and this new Samick is getting a set of tapewounds tomorrow. :p I love what I have, and these basses are all very different animals, but the main thing I look for is "Can I get ME out of this instrument?", and after that, I think "Is this doing something that what I have isn't?" If both are yes, I strain my balls off to get that instrument, and will likely keep it.

• Members

Nah, I see it as I have three basses that aren't getting used for their proper purpose. None of them really excite me, either. I still hang on to one thing 78pbass said - The good instruments will inspire you to play something you've never played before. To me, the instruments I want to own are the ones that I pick up and think "this is it" within a few seconds. I remember all the instruments that have made me say that.

Those are the kind of instruments I want to own.

The "this is it" moment happened when I got my first Q5 in. It'll happen for you too.

Promise. :)

(and it's happened when both of my others came in as well! ;))

• Members

Dude, the point of your possessions is to make you happy, if you aren't getting any pleasure from playing it... or even looking at it... sell or trade it for something new mate.

I'm selling all my stuff including my basses for a fresh start, you can always replace them if you so desire man.

• Members

I've only ever sold two basses, my upright (:cry:) and a Hamer Standard. The Hamer was easy, since I really wanted a fiver explorer and got my Warmoth underway. Found a buyer in an 80's hard rock band that I'm sure rawked it proper. My upright was literaly falling apart in my care due to neglect. I haven't had the time to play it in years, and it just sat around drying out. I needed it to go for it's own sake, and I think it was sold to a beginner player.

The rest I still have, and all of them speak to me in some way or another. The day they don't is the day I would consider selling them. They don't have to be the best, they don't have to be perfect, but they all have to make me want to play them and they all do. I picked some good ones, because as much as I've thought about thinning this herd, I just can't do it. I would miss each one too much. How do you know? Well, you just know. And you don't look back.

• Members

Yes, I am at a bass crossroads, as it were. I have three basses - and I have probably played through an amp around 12 times in as many months.

So I'm looking at thinning the herd. Unfortunately, I like all the basses I have. They're pretty good - nothing that I'm just dying to get rid of. So it will take some time to decide what all goes.

I think it's finally time to sell the junk and buy the bass that has been haunting me ever since playing one - a Ray 5.

My question (yes, there is one in this rambling) is how do you decide, personally, that it's time for a piece of gear to move on down the road? I'm looking for words of wisdom, I guess.

Thanks,

Dustin

When you're sick and tired of it! :thu:

Archived