Best Jazz type bass?

REMUS

• Members

I have an '03 MIA Fender w/Norstrand NJ4's that's pretty hard to beat. Pretty hard to go wrong with an '03 or newer MIA J.

What is wrong with the old'uns? My local music shop has a MIA Jazz in, haven't played it though...

• Members

What is wrong with the old'uns? My local music shop has a MIA Jazz in, haven't played it though...

They started putting graphite rods in the necks in '97 IIRC and, to my hands, the S-1 and later MIA's feel much more consistent bass to bass. Seems to me that they finally took the quality control issues seriously and tightened up the specs or something like that around the last half of '03.

• Members

Levinson makes a jazz model called the Blade Tetra Bass that is a very sweet jazz bass, nicer than the Fenders I've tried. I strongly suggest you check one out; apparently better availability in Europe than US.

It feels and plays the best, to me; the neck is unbelievably nice; has nice stock electronics too, although mine (used) came modded with an Audere JZ5D preamp:

8ebd_12.JPG

I found out about Blade guitars when I chanced upon a used 6-string several years ago. The neck was just so soo sweet and the signal boost they have results in a very rich tone. I ended up buying another when I found a deal on th'eBay a couple years later.

Then I decided if the neck and sounds on their basses compare to the ones on their guitars, I-Wanna-Blade-Bass -- a dream which recently came true for me. And I'm not disappointed in the least.

I highly recommend these instruments!

• Members

Dingwall Passive J bass $1800 new

Zon Sonus is a J-like bass that plays as smooth as butter. A variety of models, woods, electronic configurations. Used for as little as $1200; new around $2000-2500, but there are always a few mint used ones out there.

And then....roll drums, please...there's the SX 62J-a new mint green one that too my eyes is an excellent replica of a '62 (I once owned a '63, but have played original '62s- so I know, OK!;). Comes with chrome pup covers and plays beautifully- and sounds to me like a '62 with no mods as of yet. Passive as they should be.

Price from Rondo Music....$139 plus S+H. There was a time when I would've scoffed at the idea that a bass emulating one of the most important and desirable bases ever could be had for $139 US.

Suggestion: just buy one and deduct it from your stash of cash. Trust me- I am not steering you into a POS- far from it!:)

www.rondomusic.com

• Members

The best J style bass that I have ever played was a Sadowsky NYC. Never ever have I played such a nice J bass. Heck it was pretty close to being one of the best basses I've ever played. Expensive though. I will own one eventually...but not any time soon.

this is correct.

if i could own any J-type bass, it would be a Sadowsky.

however...

i currently have a Mike Lull M4V which i am absolutely smitten with. best playing bass i've ever had. active, with a passive switch, Fralin PUs, sounds awesome either way.

try everything you can get your hands own, and buy the one you fall in love with.

• Members

this is correct.

however...

i currently have a Mike Lull M4V which i am absolutely smitten with. best playing bass i've ever had. active, with a passive switch, Fralin PUs, sounds awesome either way.

try everything you can get your hands own, and buy the one you fall in love with.

Listen to this man, he is a Jazz bass whore.

I liked that infamous black Sadowsky the best though...you should have bought it :mad:

P8310046.jpg

• Members

this is correct.

however...

You Boston-area-ites ever heard of A Bass? I've got a 2001 A Jade J that I'll go toe to toe with the Lull...mmmm, but maybe not the Sadowsky- but close!!:D

Note to REMUS: if you've got 1500 pounds sterling than you have USD$3000. Whoo-hoo! That changes things considerably....yes? But then again, why dump all your marbles into one bass?:confused:

Archived