Peavey T-40 Pickups?

KJM

• Members

Howdy,

I've got a Peavey T-40 that I love to death...but I'm playing it to death. One of the pickups died first, and now the other is going. They just get fuzzy and then stop making sound altogether. If I was going to replace the pickups, what kind should I get that will sound as close as possible to these massive, clunky, beauties?

Or is it possible that it's not the pickups but something going wrong elsewhere in the electronics?

Appreciate any input,

Thanks,

Kris

• Members

I have no idea either about the pickups, but from a cosmetic standpoint, I think Darkstars would look badass on a T-40.

If I were replacing the pups on a T-40, Darkstars would be about the only thing I could imagine replacing them with.

That said, it is BLASPHEMY to replace a T-40s pups. The electronics of a T-40 are its heart and soul. Someone far wiser in the ways of these things (lug?) should surely come along and have some suggestions of things to check that may be the culprit here, rather than the pups actually dying. And if, in fact, they ARE dead, I'd start looking for used T-40 pups on ebay.

• Members

Did your phase switch get broke? This will often take out the bridge pup. If it died slowly, I have no idea what would cause it and have never heard of this problem on other T-40's before. My old peavey T-40 pups sound as good as new.

• Members

Did your phase switch get broke? This will often take out the bridge pup. If it died slowly, I have no idea what would cause it and have never heard of this problem on other T-40's before. My old peavey T-40 pups sound as good as new.

Don't you mean they sound as good as they possibly can in your hands? :lol:

• Members
If I were replacing the pups on a T-40, Darkstars would be about the only thing I could imagine replacing them with.

That said, it is BLASPHEMY to replace a T-40s pups. The electronics of a T-40 are its heart and soul. Someone far wiser in the ways of these things (lug?) should surely come along and have some suggestions of things to check that may be the culprit here, rather than the pups actually
dying
. And if, in fact, they ARE dead, I'd start looking for used T-40 pups on ebay.

I agree completely with this post.If your pickups really are dying (which is not altogether unlikely), then keep an eye out for T-40 pickups on ebay; they do pop up occasionally.If your phase switch is broken though, I'd get that fixed first and go from there.The problem with switching to Darkstars is that it will completely change the sound, and some people like that sound. I've never personally tried it, but to me, the pickups and the electronics of the T-40 are what make it so unique. I did modify the wiring in a T-40 that I had, and after the mod, it just lacked something that my completely stock T-40s have.BTW, if it does end up being the pickups, then try to get the same kind (either the later ones with exposed poles or the earlier ones without) as is currently in your bass, because they do sound different. Personally, I prefer the earlier ones because they aren't quite as hot as the ones with exposed blades, and they are a little bit clearer sounding to my ears.

Archived