POWERFUL tube amps

ryanizzle

• Members

400-hs-1.jpg

435 tube watts, 980 watts peak. It was a monster in every sense of the word.

...................................... This amp is Killa! Im sitting right next to one. Largest all tube amp made {85lbs} and the last all tube amp made, 1971. Has 435 watts through 3 cabs. CLEAN TOO! Do you have the cab? or the factory issued rolling rack? Google this amp up and read!

• Members

Yes, and it will crush your wallet when it's time to retube. And perhaps crush your heart when the company goes under...

;)

The claimed useful life of the tubes is 25 years.

If I got 25 years out of an amp, I'd be very happy.

Oh wait, I've had my Peavey Mark III Bass amp for longer than that.

Still works perfectly.:thu:

• Members

What's the asking price anyway? Can't find it anywhere on the site and I'm too lazy to check elsewhere.

There was a review stating $10k, but that was a pre-production model, so the price will come down to something just as unattainable I imagine :D

• Members

What's the asking price anyway? Can't find it anywhere on the site and I'm too lazy to check elsewhere.

I looked it up once, it was crazy pricey, I forget the exact amount, but it was several thousand.

The odd thing is that the page is still there, but it's not actively pointed to by any of the site's product pages, so I have to wonder if it's been withdrawn.

• Members

Okay, $10k IS unjustifiable. Holy crap.

Well, but think of it as an investment - if the music angle doesn't work, you could buy a Quake and go into the building demolition business with it. Forget the "brown note", let's go knock down an old hotel or apartment complex! :thu:

• Members

I'm all for the Peavey Classic 400 for the sound, and the exercise.

Nobody has mentioned the Markbass 300 yet!!!

I think you are talking about the same Markbass amp as the 2nd poster, inless Markbass is making 2 300 watt tube heads.

The 400PS indeed a wicked beast. It doesn't claim to be as powerful as the PJB or the one-off 1000 watter, but the advantage is the 400PS can actually be bought. More than 3 were made, and it was in stores. It can slaughter any production tube amp I've encountered, but it makes some demands of its own.

• Members

Ya know, ya almost got me GASin' with this thread.

Has anyone done a "bake off" between these tube monsters stand alone and a smaller tube amp (Traynor YBA200?) driving a serious solid state PA?

The theory being that once you've got the tube tone at any volume, if you project that through a really clean PA, you still get the tubey tone and with massive volume.

I don't have an all tube amp, so I don't have a valid test bed or else I would try it and report back.

Archived