vocal effect(s) for Rockabilly?

Westsailor

• Members

We do a couple songs that I think need the 'classic' rockabilly lead vocal sound. But I can't figure out what vocal effect(s) to use. Looking for something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJPdoGRPUmU

And here it is to the 'extreme'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXeWfrhnksk

It's not just your typical reverb... something else is going on and I can't nail what it is.

• Members

It's not reverb, its a "slapback' delay. A delay with a fairly fast echo (repeat) but not too many repetitions. the second clip sounds like there is reverb AND delay, I like the first better for rockabilly, but use reverb and a light delay with my classic rock band ( a little slower echo and not so hot in the mix)

• Members

What the other two guys said is true, but a lot of it has got to do with breathing control.

Use your "yawn" voice and stop and start a fair bit between words and sylables.

PS.

Thanks for hooking me up with those youtube links they are brilliant!

Ive never seen Johnny Burnette before live, so that was a real treat.:thu:

• Members

Another effect used on some recordings for that "old time microphone" honk/squonk sound is a comb / notch filer. (The example that comes to mind is Webb Wilder's "Tough It Out", though that's not really pure classic rockabilly, but the effect has definitely been used in rockabilly.)

• Members

Another effect used on some recordings for that "old time microphone" honk/squonk sound is a comb / notch filer. (The example that comes to mind is Webb Wilder's "Tough It Out", though that's not really pure classic rockabilly, but the effect has definitely been used in rockabilly.)

HOLY SHEET!!! I thought I was the only WW fan aroond. I got Doo Dad back when it first release because of that song. Now its out of print.

Archived