P Basses gone from Rondo Site

tocs100

• Members

Rondo seems to be pretty good at updating their available inventory. They haven't had P-basses in awhile:cry: On the plus side, the 6 string I wanted many months ago is back in stock, the Canadian $ is worth more than the US $, and the guitarist in my new band works in the US so I can ship to his office and skip the $50 duty tax! :thu:

• Moderators

Why on earth would you think lawsuit?
:confused:
fender allows other companys to use their P,J, S and T design.

you must have Fender mixed up with Rickenbacker.

Fender is attempting to secure trademark rights to their body shapes. If they are successful (it is in the opposition process at the USPTO) they will likely shut down a lot of the copyists.

• Members

Fender is attempting to secure trademark rights to their body shapes. If they are successful (it is in the opposition process at the USPTO) they will likely shut down a lot of the copyists.

They have been for a while, I think.

And if they do, they'll all just extend the upper horn and offset the body a little bit and viola! Legality!

• Members

Meh... I don't think they will bother spending the cash it would take to get pushed through the courts; like sunburstbasser said, change the design to a slight vairiation and it is legal. Most other copys have already acomplished this by slightly changing the headstock design.

• Moderators

Meh... I don't think they will bother spending the cash it would take to get pushed through the courts; like sunburstbasser said, change the design to a slight vairiation and it is legal. Most other copys have already acomplished this by slightly changing the headstock design.

If Fender makes it through the opposition process with rights in their designs, you can bet they are going after every manufacturer they can find. Letters have already been sent to all the usual suspects. These trademark applications are preparation for war. (and as sbb notes, they've been preparing for a while)

• Members

I think the Js likely outsell the Ps. It seems that in China and Korea (from talking to manufacturers here and over there.....and judging by 9 to 1 J to P ratio at guitar market here) the demand is much MUCH higher for Js. This could mean that the factory Team Intl (the company who makes SX for Rondo) uses might be dedicating most of their time to Js and Rondo will have to wait for the next run of Ps...

• Members
If Fender makes it through the opposition process with rights in their designs, you can bet they are going after every manufacturer they can find. Letters have already been sent to all the usual suspects. These trademark applications are preparation for war. (and as sbb notes, they've been preparing for a while)

It makes no sense. The body design is over 50 year old.

• Members

That's what all of the companies and people that are opposing the trademark are saying. FWIW, I agree.

However, Gibson's LP body shape is almost as old and they've kept it protected...

In Fender's case it seems an absolutely huge task for them. Fender's allowed it for almost 30 years and there are dozens (if not hundreds) of makers copying them, from SX and their $125 guitars to Sadowsky and Lull and Lakland and Suhr and their copies in the thousands. How do you just wake up 25 years later and say "oh yeah, we forgot, we actually do care if people copy us"?...:rolleyes:

• Members

Sorry to bunk the conspiracy theories here, but wanted to chime in with the info:

Kurt told me (via email) that demand was outpacing his supply for the SX Precisions. He hasn't gotten any new Precisions for quite a while because he was waiting for the factory to complete his orders/shipment of new stock. He expects his new stock of Precisions to arrive by late October.

:wave:

• Moderators

However, Gibson's LP body shape is almost as old and they've kept it protected...

In Fender's case it seems an absolutely huge task for them. Fender's allowed it for almost 30 years and there are dozens (if not hundreds) of makers copying them, from SX and their $125 guitars to Sadowsky and Lull and Lakland and Suhr and their copies in the thousands. How do you just wake up 25 years later and say
"oh yeah, we forgot, we actually
do
care if people copy us"
?...
:rolleyes:

That is the basic argument against it.

Archived