bass related moral dilemma

boscal45

• Members

i took out a bit of extra money to cover books this semester, and i had about $200 left over. so i emailed the business office to ask them to release it to me, and i get an email back saying "a check for $2,000 will be sent to you next week." apparantly, i had some financial aid come through that i didnt expect.

i could put all of it back towards my loan. but, i do need a new bass. and a new rig wouldnt hurt.

im thinking im going to go 50/50 with it.

what would you guys do?

• Members

Need or want?

If you need it, ie, current equipment is unreliable, sounds like total ass, etc, etc, cannot do for the gig, you may have to spend.

If you just WANT it, well, pay off your loan.

Those of us in wealthy societies forget the difference between need and want. We NEED air. We WANT it to smell nice.

Cheers!

R

• Members
Need or want?

If you need it, ie, current equipment is unreliable, sounds like total ass, etc, etc, cannot do for the gig, you may have to spend.

Those of us in wealthy societies forget the difference between need and want. We NEED air. We WANT it to smell nice.

Cheers!

R

+1.If you have workable gear, pay off the loan. The 50/50 thing sounds like a good compromise, but beware!!! If you just have money burning a hole in your pocket, just pay th loan!

• Members

Need or want?

Cheers!

R

++1 Apply it toward the loan. you'll appreciate this later.

The time-value of money only works if you're loaning the money!

• Members

I'm paying off a student loan now. As said earlier, if it's stuff you just want, I'd put the money away now and let it build interest or pay off loan principal ASAP (depending on what kind of loan you have and what, if any, early repayment penalties may be incurred).

But this is coming from the guy who spent ~$2000 of scholarship money on a camera...

• Members

I'm paying off a student loan now. As said earlier, if it's stuff you just
want
, I'd put the money away now and let it build interest or pay off loan principal ASAP (depending on what kind of loan you have and what, if any, early repayment penalties may be incurred).

You know, that's not a bad idea. Providing the interest on the loan is pretty low, deferred or whatever, he could even get a $2k/12mo CD or something and make a few bucks for doing nothing more than sitting on his butt. Keep in mind that there are income tax implications though.

• Members

You know, that's not a bad idea. Providing the interest on the loan is pretty low, deferred or whatever, he could even get a $2k/12mo CD or something and make a few bucks for doing nothing more than sitting on his butt. Keep in mind that there are income tax implications though.

That is a pretty good idea. Look into that.

• Members

Need or want?

Cheers!

R

What he said.

Archived