Guy I loaned my amp to debacle

lumpy555

• Members

I think there are different things going on here as the foot swt. not working and the fan would seem to be two different issues.

A couple of things-

* Your friend said the amp cut out. Have you tried it since? If the fan is not working, the amp will start up fine but then cut out when it gets too hot. I suspect this is what is happening.

* Are you comfortable opening up the amp and making sure nothing is jamming the fan from operating? You can open the amp and see if the fan spins freely. Or, find a wood stick of some sort and stick through the fan opening to see if it spins. Either way, do these with the amp unplugged and DO NOT TOUCH ANY CAPACITORS.

The only way I can see the switch and the fan being related is if the unit was dropped or something was spilled on it. Are there any signs of that?

• Members

thanks fer the replies! now,i opened the amp,i removed the top cover and looked at the fan, it is not jammed. the tag inside says a date of 11-04,maybe a build date? also the inside looks totally brand new! the fan will not run on its own,also i found a loose footswitch jack,seen a dissconnected blue wire one of the 4 that the fs jack goes to.i tightened the loc nut on the jack.the 2-speed fan does not work at all. also last month when i jammed on it ,the amp got really hot and shut off. i had the amp plugged into the same recepticle as my guit. marshall 50 tube head so i thought my genz was not gettin enough power to turn the fan,so i figured thats why it heated up and shutt off automatically.man,i really need to get her fixed.i talked to gb customer service and the gal told me to talk to chris on monday,but i would rather find a tech here on the hcbf to take care of this lil glitch of overheatin.also the tube is fine ,its a ruby.any suggestions would greatly be appreaciated!! thanks lumpy...

• Members

There can be any number of things. When you don't know all the facts since you weren't there, it makes troubleshooting tougher. You said the fan stopped working... did you lend it out after this? Without the footswich connected, do the function selector switch "tally" LEDs turn on when the switches are pushed? What LEDs are on in the master section?

Where are you located?

Often, we can repair it at the factory easierthan at a service shop since we know these things inside and out. It may even be faster!

Talk to Chris or Scott and follow their recommendations.

• Members

i live in ohio. i think im gonna send it to gb-chris thanks

No problem!

Our head engineering tech (Scott) plays a GBE-600 and knows them inside and out. He also worked on the whole GBE development project with me.

Pack it well, really well. It's amazing how many poorly packaged amps we see sent in. (This applies to shipping all amp products, not just ours).

• Members

i live in ohio. i think im gonna send it to gb-chris thanks

Lumpy, Agedhorse and Hasbeen both work for GB. Andy, (the horse's butt above) was the mastermind behind the design of that amp. I can guarantee there is no one who knows it better than him.

you're in very good hands

• Members

THANKS !man,i will NEVER LOAN THIS GEAR OUT AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!i truely learned me lesson,noice guys DO finish LAST! cause their gear always ends up BROKE...p.s. thanks again for settin my mind at ease as i did not really know where to COMFORTABLEY send the gb amp to get fixed,evan right!! i really wanted to put her through the paces this weekend and play through a couple cabs.the 8x10 ampeg,also the 6x10 ampeg as well as the backline 4x10 up through the higher end GK STUFF!!!! while my amp is there i am gonna see if they can spray the bed-liner stuff on my amp cover,and i am really lookin at the low down sound cabs in the sprayed cabs design,as they are about an hour from me ,near detroit...piece!! lump...

• Members

I'm not saying don't lend it to people...just be there when they're setting it up, and insist that you're the one to push the knobs around. I nearly had someone put my 1200's master volume to 3 o'clock..was like "...errr you might want to not be standing in the room if you want to live..."

And once again, heres testament to GB's amazing customer service :p

• Members

i checked the 4 fuses under the hood,if ya will!,also the 5th fuse located in the draw under the power cord jack,they all good.now i seen that the red power selector was set on 240-v,so i put it on 110-v! the 2-speed fan works like it should.the fs jack has 2 broke wires and it will not tighten up. also the only led that lights up is the green power one. the i.d. tag or build date is 1-10-04,i wonder if genz 3-year warrenty will be in effect as far as any parts,labor etc...can anyone suggest an option for me? also the friend that broke-it told me yesterday that he stuck the amp inside a bass combo,the amp part was missin so he SQUEEZED the gb in there,and said it was a tight fit,and i bet thats why the fs-jack is messed up as ther was not much room left in that combo. it also was a 1x15,so i wonder if the ohms were right? BOY!!this {censored} WONT HAPPEN AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!! piece!! lumpy-ohio!!!!!!!!!

• Members

i checked the 4 fuses under the hood,if ya will!,also the 5th fuse located in the draw under the power cord jack,they all good.now i seen that the red power selector was set on 240-v,so i put it on 110-v! the 2-speed fan works like it should.the fs jack has 2 broke wires and it will not tighten up. also the only led that lights up is the green power one. the i.d. tag or build date is 1-10-04,i wonder if genz 3-year warrenty will be in effect as far as any parts,labor etc...can anyone suggest an option for me? also the friend that broke-it told me yesterday that he stuck the amp inside a bass combo,the amp part was missin so he SQUEEZED the gb in there,and said it was a tight fit,and i bet thats why the fs-jack is messed up as ther was not much room left in that combo. it also was a 1x15,so i wonder if the ohms were right? BOY!!this {censored} WONT HAPPEN AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!! piece!! lumpy-ohio!!!!!!!!!

Sounds to me like your friend needs to pay the cost of shipping/repairs to ship it to the guys at genz.

• Members

didn't the guys that work for genz chime into your last thread and tell you to send it in?

• Members

yes they did chime in. i was reading the owners manual,and the other manul that came with it and i happen to read that the 3-yr warrenty that it is covered if ya send the original reciept. just wondering how to handle this as i did nt buy it new... so my new question i guess is what to do as far as genz warrenty,sales reciept,blah,blah....lumpy...piece!!!!!!!

• Members

i didnt ignore anyones thread! i been runnin back and forth out to the garage wher my amp is ,on the table,checkin things and then postin questions ,SO if it seems like i am not getting back to you guys,this is why. i said that i appreciate everyones input included the genz guys here,i am not really handling this too well,so PLEASE BEAR WITH ME!!!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU !!! LUMPY....

• Members

i didnt ignore anyones thread! i been runnin back and forth out to the garage wher my amp is ,on the table,checkin things and then postin questions ,SO if it seems like i am not getting back to you guys,this is why. i said that i appreciate everyones input included the genz guys here,i am not really handling this too well,so PLEASE BEAR WITH ME!!!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU !!! LUMPY....

The only input that is truly valid is that of GenzBenz.

Here's their number: (480) 941-0705

Call them tomorrow. I'm sure they'll take care of you.

• Moderators

+1 I would never treat borrowed gear like your friend treated yours.

+1

If the golden rule is do unto others as you would have them do unto you, your friend is basically telling you that he would like to be stuffed into a 1x15 combo. As a previous poster stated, make that tool pay for shipping into GB.

• Members

if I may ....and yes, I'm wearing my GB uniform now:

Why is the title of the thread "GB Debacle" and not "Guy I loaned my amp to debacle"?

In the first thread I mentioned that it sounded like the guy had dropped it or spilled something on it. .....I've been at this gig a long, long time....we've seen everything.

If I may be frank here- I have no problems standing behind an amp ....first hand, bought used....third hand...with receipt or without- it doesn't matter. We know we built the bloody thing. But there are times when we have to say "hey, somebody left a French fry in here with ketchup on it".

Either way, I'm not worried about the receipt or length of warranty- if the amp is faulty, we'll make it right. But if there's a Big Mac with Cheese in there, expect and modest charge because we'll have to buy a Coke to go with it.

Archived