MM/J pup combination... Tone characteristics?

L-1329

• Members

I've never tried a bass with this combo before, but I'm looking for some to try out. For those that have, what are your impressions? Are there any general tone characteristics to this setup, or how would it sond comapre to a jazz or P/J etc? I know every bass is different, but I am really interested in this setup and would appreciate any opinions. And of course, pics too.:cool:

• Members

I've never tried a bass with this combo before, but I'm looking for some to try out. For those that have, what are your impressions? Are there any general tone characteristics to this setup, or how would it sond comapre to a jazz or P/J etc? I know every bass is different, but I am really interested in this setup and would appreciate any opinions. And of course, pics too.
:cool:

Bro,

Just stop by the Lakland factory and find out firsthand. I believe they're the ones that made that combination popular.

...want company? :D

• Members

That combo has it's own character. On basses with that setup, the J pickup usually isn't located in the same exact place as a traditional J bass, and the same applies to the MM pickup. Because of this, the usual tones you may expect with classic J or MM tones don't always apply.

Overall, the MM/J setup seems to have a little more focus than a J/J configuration, and it has more low end and a little less midrange "bark" than a single MM.

Here's a good way to hear this yourself. This link features the Lakland 55-02 with the MM/J pickups. You can compare that to other basses on the Lakland site:

http://www.lakland.com/multimedia/ac_5502.htm

• Members

That combo has it's own character. On basses with that setup, the J pickup usually isn't located in the same exact place as a traditional J bass, and the same applies to the MM pickup. Because of this, the usual tones you may expect with classic J or MM tones don't always apply.

I was wondering about that. One thing though, I just looked at the Warmoth site and they say they put the MM in the traditional spot, but they don't say where the J is. Those Lakland clips do sound good...

• Members

The MM/J configed BB75:

http://www.box.net/shared/static/n1tt98nt6v.mp3

More punch than a pre-Don King style Mike Tyson.

Ok how about some warnings next time! You can't go posting links that don't say huntfor... in the link without a little heads up.:mad:

Actually, that bass tone sounds pretty good. Seems to have a bright top end to it without getting too thin...

• Members

Ok how about some warnings next time! You can't go posting links that don't say huntfor... in the link without a little heads up.
:mad:

Actually, that bass tone sounds pretty good. Seems to have a bright top end to it without getting too thin...

Imagine my surprise when I bought a dirty Carvin and it ended up sounding like this. :D

• Members

I really, really liked my MM/J CV-4. It cut like a knife, and had a good amount of low end. It seemed like it was real heavy on the low-mids, and could explode the highs when you blended toward the neck and added some treble.

Some day I'll have that same config in a graphite bass from Status. Some day.

Archived