Practical application of a rackmount tuner

REMUS

• Members

I was looking at tuners, specifically the Korg toneworks DTR 1

But then I thought to myself, wtf do I need it for!? Although it seems like it has some nice features.

So I was wondering, what do you use your tuner for and do you think it was a wise purchase?

• Members

I use a little Korg $14 tuner that is designed for 5 string bass and 7 string guitar, it works great, and me bass doesn't lose tuning all night... If I felt I was going to need a relaible tuner in my signal path I'd look for a pedal tuner so I could tune with a simple click of my foot and not have to stop everything and turn around to tune.. If you mounted your rack tuner on your pedalboard somehow, that might be cool.

• Members

My DTR1000 is the perfect solution for my rack. I run wireless so a pedal tuner would be nothing but more unneccessary cord mess. My amp has a tuner out, and when I mute the amp everything but the tuner is muted. The tuner is also outside of the signal chain. It's always on, easy to see, tracks very well and works perfectly. Having to turn around to see it is a very small price to pay for the complete simplicity it brings to my setup.:cool:

• Members

So I was wondering, what do you use your tuner for and do you think it was a wise purchase?

I use mine for tuning, what else? ;)

I've had this same tuner in my rack for over 20 years. I just recently joined a band and the other guys were astounded that I had a tuner in my rack. They all plugged in to tune before we rehearsed. So I had to ask myself, how did they tune accurately before I showed up?

• Members

I use the Korg DTR1000- like someone else said, it's always on, so I can hit my amp's mute switch anytime and tune easily during a show. Highly recommended.

It's also is very rock and roll to tune with your back to the audience, and is a nice change of pace from gazing at your shoes.

• Members

I use mine for tuning, what else?
;)

I've had this same tuner in my rack for over 20 years. I just recently joined a band and the other guys were astounded that I had a tuner in my rack. They all plugged in to tune before we rehearsed. So I had to ask myself, how did they tune accurately before I showed up?

I mean, what situations have you encountered where it has been useful enough to be worth the amount you paid for it...:mad:

;)

• Members

I have a 6 space rack and a GK 1001 RB, so it fills up space and means I don't have to carry a tuner or a pedal around.

I think "Why Not?" is the more accurate question as someone else asked. It's convenient and not terribly expensive (20-50 bucks used) - the cost of a handheld tuner would be almost as much.

• Moderators
A quick setup and tear down is worth the price to me. Plus it's always there. And no batteries to go dead.

+1. Another wireless user here, so it makes perfect sense. Right now I use a boss 1/2 rack effect unit and it has a built in tuner, so I don't need a specific rack unit. The Sabine I have is currently in my studio rack, though.

• Members

I mean, what situations have you encountered where it has been useful enough to be worth the amount you paid for it...
:mad:

;)

I got my Korg 2000 nearly free with my upgraded rack. It's much more accurate than the $10 credit card Korg I was using, but I'd probably not have one if I didn't get it on the cheap. My basses stay in tune very well so I don't really need to tune up on stage but it's really convenient when I do.

Yo.

• Members

Yeah but if I think i'm out of tune it's easy to just tune up myself, it just confirms the fact I don't need one really.

The only scenario I can think of where I would *need* it, is at a really noisy gig.

:confused:

• Members

Yeah but if I think i'm out of tune it's easy to just tune up myself, it just confirms the fact I don't need one really.

The only scenario I can think of where I would *need* it, is at a really noisy gig.

So you're gonna tune it by ear on stage? :confused: Not the most professional thing to do. down.jpg

• Members

So you're gonna tune it by ear on stage?
Not the most professional thing to do.
down.jpg

No one has cared before now? obviously the amp is muted, i've never played a show to more than 250 people and I am not a professional musician, but i've done plenty of gigs. My bass never goes out of tune really and if I need to go to drop b for particular songs then i'll take another bass.

I'll think about it some more...

• CMS Author

No one has cared before now? obviously the amp is muted, i've never played a show to more than 250 people and I am not a professional musician, but i've done plenty of gigs. My bass never goes out of tune really and if I need to go to drop b for particular songs then i'll take another bass.

I'll think about it some more...

If you've ever played outdoors in the summer sun, you'll appreciate hwo even the most stable basses can go wildly out of tune, and seemingly at random.

Favorite tuning-related quote: "If I ever get the damned thing in tune, I'm gonna weld it." -Chet Atkins:D

• Members

If you've ever played outdoors in the summer sun, you'll appreciate hwo even the most stable basses can go wildly out of tune, and seemingly at random.

Or night shows outdoors during fall.

Tune up at ever set break and a quick check between a few songs.

• Members

Favorite tuning-related quote: "If I ever get the damned thing in tune, I'm gonna weld it." -
Chet Atkins
:D

I've played in the sun but British hot weather isn't exactly comparatively hot at any time in the year... ever... :p

Archived