Truss rod nut

okta

• Members

Hey guys,

Anyone of your know if there's different sizes for Truss rod nuts?

The one on my MIM Fender 5-string Jazz Bass has gotten loose and need to be change. The guitar tech told me the local store doesn't have the truss rod nut for bass, they only have the one for guitar. The one they showed me(original Fender parts) seems to be bigger.

They seems to have only have one size listed on the website.

cheers!

• Moderators

Hey guys,

Anyone of your know if there's different sizes for Truss rod nuts?

The one on my MIM Fender 5-string Jazz Bass has gotten loose and need to be change. The guitar tech told me the local store doesn't have the truss rod nut for bass, they only have the one for guitar. The one they showed me(original Fender parts) seems to be bigger.

They seems to have only have one size listed on the website.

cheers!

There are lots of types and sizes of nuts used in instruments. I'm confused as to why you need a new nut. Is your stripped?

• Members

There are lots of types and sizes of nuts used in instruments. I'm confused as to why you need a new nut. Is your stripped?

not sure what term to use. The wrench couldn't get a grip so now the nut couldn't be turn.

bassgeek: yea i know it's hard not to laugh writing all this :)

• Members

yeap..that's what the tech guy did. he cut a new slot. But he said it's still risky to use that, so i plan to order a new one.

I want to know if there's a different size nut for guitar and bass because i only see one size on the fender website. the tech guy tested with an original fender which doesn't work because it was too big. I haven't see any specific nut for bass .

• Moderators

The best thing to do is to completely unscrew the nut until it is out of the bass and sitting in your hand. Then you can measure it and make sure you get the proper replacement. In order to make it easy to reset the relief when you thread the nut back on, you should count how many rotations it takes to get from it's current position to the "just finger tight" position. Then when you retread it, you can tighten until you first feel resistance and then count the rotations to put it back in exactly the same spot. Make sense?

Archived