I just ordered a 1/2 size upright.

bassgirl9

• Members

So, I was playing last night and during the guitar solo, I decided to climb up on my bass. I lost my balance a wee bit getting up and then I stumbled getting down again.

"Garsh darnit!" I said. "This bass is too darn big for me."

"Why don't you get a 1/2 size?" My bandmates asked.

"Why dont I?" I pondered to myself and then today I put in an order for King Doublebass Sparkle King 1/2 size.

How's that for an impulse buy?!!

:eek::love::eek:

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

link with pics? sparkly upright sounds cool

I dont think they've made one yet. Here's a sparkle king blue

l_2728900ab6fc96a34ff0788a1d6f577b.jpg

And here's a tangerine- apple burst.

l_6af5c2a3c865eeae26be3e3fe7f686c4.jpg

Now imagine the tangerine- apple burst all sparkly like the blue one.... and smaller. Ha ha.

• Members

I'm going to pull a bass faux pas here, but where did you order it from, and how much?

King Doublebass themselves. www.kingdoublebass.com

I can't say how much I payed for it. *drums fingers on desk* and I can't say why.... but I really want to. So as far as you know I payed full price whatever that is.... I think they're going for close to $4000.00.

• Members

how easy is it switch from electric bass to an upright? Can you get ones with the same scale length?

Some people have a real problem with it. I have a buddy who has had one for months and hasn't played anywhere with it yet. Tbroom was up and running with his in a couple of weeks and I was up and running with mine in a really sort amount of time too.

The neck is very different but the room for fingering is really forgiving with lots of space to land your notes. Once I got my head wrapped around that fact I was flying.

• Moderators

Agreed...not all THAT forgiving it turns out.
:rolleyes:

Yeah, my comment wasn't meant to be smartassish, but there really is no room for error in intonation. If your finger is in the correct position for a given note, rocking it forward or backward 45 degrees can put you noticeably out of tune.

• Members

Cool deal on the bass. What kind of pickup system are you using?

On my current bass I'm running a K&K Rockabilly Bass master. It has served me well over the last two years.

The new one will have the King Doll Head pickup. I know nothing about it other than it's amazing and very resistant to feedback. I guess I'll find out in a few weeks though. :)

• Members

Yeah, my comment wasn't meant to be smartassish, but there really is no room for error in intonation. If your finger is in the correct position for a given note, rocking it forward or backward 45 degrees can put you noticeably out of tune.

Conversely I make that work in my favour.

• Members

She's crafty!
:idea:

yep.

And I'm sorry. You're right, I shouldn't make it seem easier than it really is and set up a new player for disapointment. Getting the intonation down is the hardest part and I've been privy to some decent ear training over the years.

• Members

Didn't find that particular pickup listed on their site...
:confused:

That's the problem. Their site is 3 years old.

Here I grabbed this from their site. It's under "what's New"

The King Doll Head piezo pickup system is now available. Yeah, I know

Archived