Is there any bass that matches these specs?

Coverdale

• Members

Hey guys!

My bass player needs a new bass. He has an old Maya (Ibanez) Precision with a shorter scale and very versatile wiring. Very sweet, full of mids, but he needs more bottom end.

He can't spend more than 500$. He doesn't really care about the looks, he just wants something with a big low end, with a splitable humbucker on the bridge, and more and one pickup.

Any ideas for him? He's aiming for the used market because of the money he has available.

Any other ideas for that price or less, with a big low end, and without the HB on the bridge might interest him too. Another friend recommended the Japanesese Precision Lyte, he has 2 and loves them...

• Members

Those amps are pretty crappy IMO - the rehearsal studio I use has one and I just can't dial in any decent tone no matter what eq I use. It just sounds gash whatever bass I plug in to it (Ibanez SR, Fender P).

I'm trying a Sansamp BDDI through it tonight and will report my findings here if you're interested? Might save your bass player a bit of cash.

• Members

Nope, it's really in the bass, I think (and he also does).

He sometimes uses a friend's Ibanez SR that has much more low end.

I see, after looking at the amp specs (EB15-180?) it can't be that amp with no lowend...it looks like a nice amp.

Maybe changing the pickup would be an option?

• Members

Mornin' all (well, it's morning here!).

My thoughts based on last night's practice are that the amp really does not lack for bottom end. In fact, that's my quibble with it - it's all bottom/low-mid and really lacks definition. I don't know if it sounds strange that a bass player is complaining about too much low-end, but in the context that I use the amp (12x15ft practice studio) it's far too boomy and notes are indistinct.

However, last night I got really good results using my sansamp with my Ibanez SR300. I set the amp and basses eq flat, used my "pop" settings on the sansamp (basically, not much bass or drive/gain, slight mid-boost, greater treble boost) and combined with the "J" pickup on the bass, I got a really good tone. Enough balls and presence to hold down the groove, but with some decent cut and that nice J-style growl. Sweet Child O Mine sounded really good :D

I think my tone-success last night (which I should point out was the first time I'd tried that combination of equipment) was down to the sansamp AND the bass using the J p'up. Using it's "P" p'up with other settings gave big bottom end with a slight loss of cut/clarity, but which worked for the songs I used those settings with (this is for a covers band playing 70s/80s/90s pop and rock).

As your bass player is after bass recommendations rather than pedal/eq suggestions, may I proffer the Ibanez SR300FM? Ok, it's not got the splitable humbucker, but it has P/J pickups which you can blend between or use seperately. Perhaps more usefully for what your bass player wants - it has a bass/treble boost/cut pot, which gives quite a lot of tonal variation (I think it's something like +15db either way, but that might be wrong!).

http://www.ibanez.com/bass/guitar.aspx?m=SR300FM

Archived