Bass pedal rec. ONE PEDAL DESERT ISLAND

bassbialas

• Members

I'm new the forum, here is my Q. I have played guitar for 10 years, and am picking up the BASS for a new band with some friends. I am playing a 5 string fender bass and 4 string Steinberger spirit, (both passive) my amp is a workingmans 15" 300 watt rms. I know my guitar pedals, but wanted to invest in one bass pedal for starters. Music we play: ccr, pearl jam, radiohead, various 70's covers.... My local music store has few bass pedal choices so I would like a recommendation for a nice overall pedal for rock. Comming from guitar I have steered away from the "digitech" all in one pedal types, but am open to this for bass if they produce nice sound in your opinion. I feel ike i need more punch or cleaner sound, but maybe a distortion choice would be nice also. Was told to buy a bassballs by one bass player but the reviews scare me, I was thinking of a sonic stomp also, but its meant for guitar and has no distortion.......anyway please give me a suggestion multi effect or single...I guess if you played this type of music and were stranded on a desert island with electricity your bass and amp and could bring one pedal, which one would you bring......???thanks alot

• Moderators

A Peterson Strobostomp.

I'd run a quick search and look for James hart's posts about his "Ampeg" and "Marshall" pedals. I typically run a dry signal to my amp, but I do have a distortion pedal when it is time to get grindy or fuzzy. Mine is a modded Boss Blues Driver 2. There are other pedals out there that work well, but 99.8% of the time I don't use one.

edit: someone just bumped it for us: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1716387

• Members

A Peterson Strobostomp.

I'd run a quick search and look for James hart's posts about his "Ampeg" and "Marshall" pedals. I typically run a dry signal to my amp, but I do have a distortion pedal when it is time to get grindy or fuzzy. Mine is a modded Boss Blues Driver 2. There are other pedals out there that work well, but 99.8% of the time I don't use one.

edit: someone just bumped it for us:
http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1716387

:thu:

For me, to go with only one pedal would most likely mean my Analog.man King of Tone.... or my OLC Sunkist Squeeze (compressor).

• Members

I'll say the Peterson as well.

My question is" Why do you need a pedal anyways? The sound you are trying to attain isn't going to come from a small box. It's going to come from your bass, amp, and FINGERS!!! Too many people push off technique, but it's really the cornerstone to attain the tone they have in their head. Without it, you'll get nowhere. Unfortunately, there is no magic box that does this for you.

With all that said, I love effects, and am one of the few guys on this forum to use them regularly. If I had to choose one pedal, it would probably grab my Demeter Opto Compulator. It's a compressor.

Archived