Greatest hits albums

davis1

• Members

Do you treat them like real albums?

Personally, I have a few greatest hits albums from bands which happens to be my favourites from them. For instance, my favourite Aerosmith and Pantera albums are their greatest hits

discuss

• Members

depends...... if I have all the albums already I won't get it..... at the same time they need to give something more than just 1 or 2 live versions and a new track.....

If it's a band I never really got in to but liked I'd pick it up

• Members

Love em, usually.

Nice for artists that have too many albums or have scattered hits. Tom Petty, Steve Miller, Eagles... All bands I love greatest hits albums from. Led Zeppelin, not so much. Gimme the regular albums.

• Moderators

I like greatest hits albums, because most artists never put out whole albums that are likable. One exception for me is Cheap Trick. They have several greatest hits albums and there aren't but a few songs on there that are my favorites. But I understand why they put the ones on there that they have.

• Members

It depends. If it's an artist I'm really into, I want the actual albums. Even though a lot of albums today don't have a cohesive theme throughout, it's still nice to have the vibe the artist was going for when it was recorded. There are some albums that simply shouldn't be chopped up for a Greatest Hits package. Johnny Cash's early 60's album "Ride This Train" is a great example.

If I just want an overview of an artist I'm not too crazy about, Greatest Hits compilations are fine.

• Members

With a few exceptions, I generally view them as "beginner" albums for lack of a better term. Usually the tracks that are on hits albums are the ones I'm soooo worn out on to begin with 'cause you hardly ever get "deep" cuts. Maybe I just get bored easily. :)

• Members

It depends on the artist. Chronicles from Rush is an awesome greatest hits album.

I like Chronicles, Spirit Of Radio which is also one of their Greatest hits albums and Rush greatest.

however one of my favorites is caress of steel which has some of Rush's best work, and of course there is not a bad song on the fly by night or 2112 albums IMO

if you could put RUSHs' greatest hits all in one set it would take up about 5 CD's

the sad thing about RUSH is that their best stuff has never had any air time

and as we briefly discussed in another thread some of their best work was never legally released, however that was before Neal Peart signed on.

• Members

The only greatest hits CD I own is Collective Soul's. With the exception of not having "Maybe" on it (which wasnt a hit so I cant complain), its a pretty decent album....Should I consider a 'greatest hits' album a discography release? My answer: ONLY if it contains unreleased tracks, as some "Greatest Hits" packages do........

• Members

I hate greatest hits albums with a passion. They give you all the tracks you've already heard a million times on the radio, without the flow or context of the real albums as recorded by the artist.

If I want to get to know an artist or band, then I want to get to know them. If I don't, they why am I wasting my money on a GH album when I could be buying an album that I actually want to listen to or learn from?

• Members

I hate greatest hits albums with a passion. They give you all the tracks you've already heard a million times on the radio, without the flow or context of the real albums as recorded by the artist.

If I want to get to know an artist or band, then I want to get to know them. If I don't, they why am I wasting my money on a GH album when I could be buying an album that I actually want to listen to or learn from?

+1

Besides, why get a greatest hits album when I'm trying out bands by downloading mp3's anyway?

My only exception would be groups that have like 30+ releases. Where there is so much material you just don't know where to start. Still though, I'd just download the greatest hits, I'd never buy one.

Archived