Besides actually buying Photoshop.....

B-Bottom

• Members

Where is a good place where I can get it without actually dropping a ton of cash. Or rather no cash at all?

I've never used it and now that I have some free time I'd like to become more familiar with it.

are you looking for a place where you can get pirated software? :confused::freak:

• Members

GIMP isn't too bad, from what I've read and Irfanview (or however you spell it), has some functionality, too. If you have a Mac, there's a few other programs I read about recently, but I imagine you're PC.

Also, CS3 dropped earlier this year, so there may be people getting rid of their CS or CS2 version in favor of CS3. You may find some good deals on eBay due to this. Of course, you have to watch out and make sure you're buying from someone who won't send you burned discs or another form of Pirated software. If you're not hell-bent on having Adobe's latest and greatest, it may work.

Dustin

• Members

GIMP isn't too bad, from what I've read and Irfanview (or however you spell it), has some functionality, too. If you have a Mac, there's a few other programs I read about recently, but I imagine you're PC.

Also, CS3 dropped earlier this year, so there may be people getting rid of their CS or CS2 version in favor of CS3. You may find some good deals on eBay due to this. Of course, you have to watch out and make sure you're buying from someone who won't send you burned discs or another form of Pirated software. If you're not hell-bent on having Adobe's latest and greatest, it may work.

Dustin

cool I may check that out.

The whole reason that I want to give this a whirl is because I am trying to jump boldly into the 1990's and begin designing band logo's on the PC rather that on the old drafting table.

• Members

cool I may check that out.

The whole reason that I want to give this a whirl is because I am trying to jump boldly into the 1990's and begin designing band logo's on the PC rather that on the old drafting table.

Then I would recommend a vector-based program rather than a raster program. Adobe Illustrator is a pretty big one in the industry. There's other free ones out there. I'll see if I can find them. Watch here for edit.

Edit: Supposedly good (according to C-net): Inkscape

And here's the article that I pulled out of the spiderweb-entangled depths of my brain, which yielded the above result.

• Members

It doesn't need to be the real one, just a program that can do the same things.

gimp is very similar to photochop and free. as others have said tho, illustrator is much better for creating logos than photoshop. with any graphic program, if you have no experience be ready to put in some hours before you get any kind of results.

• Members

Again the same site.

http://www.download.com/Adobe-Illustrator/3000-2191_4-10701449.html?tag=lst-0-1

This is a good idea, too. I downloaded the 30-day free trial when I was in school so I could complete some layout and design projects at home instead of laboring hours in a computer lab. People in my major, however, grew fond of the lab and referred to time there (in room 266) "266-ing it." Good times :D

• Members

I have been using a very simple and rather easy to use program that Microsoft put out a few years back with the early versions of FrontPage. It was called MS Image composer. It will do most of the same things but without as many bells and whistles. The bad news, is I have never seen available anywhere except hidden on the CD's with FrontPage 98 and 2000.

• Members

Educational deals or discount software can be bought online and multiple websites.

College bookstores are also a good place to find educational discounts on software. I've also found that some college text books include a copy of an "educational" version of the software in question.

I wouldn't, however, go looking on torrent tracker websites. That software can be full of virii and spyware.

• Members

theres also paint.net for raster graphics, as well as paintshop pro. paint.net is free, and psp is fairly cheap ($99).

but vector... you are pretty much limited to inkscape and illustrator. if you try to send out raster graphics to a printing place, they will laugh at you and charge you art prep fees.

you can download the cs programs on a free trial from adobe.

as far as educational software goes, it is technically against the licence to do commercial work with it. also, it is supposed to be hard to buy without a student/instructor id.

and technically, licences are not transferable. there is no such thing as "used" software. if they upgrade, you will get a disc with an invalid key. and yes, post cs1 you do have to activate it against the adobe servers for it to work.

• Members

Bitlord?

Hit or miss. I've downloaded PS from there, had it work just fine with the crack, and then suddenly stop working. I've also d/l PS and had my anti-virus software go bonkers when it scans the file.

I'm gonna try Inkscape, if it sucks then I'll just buy the $99 version. All I use it for is designing band flyers anyways.

I have GIMP, but after using PS, you realize how crappy the product from the GIMP is.

C7

• Members

{censored} I only upgraded to PS 7.0 last year.. Up until then it was version 5.1! (our IT guys begged me to 'upgrade', they were sick of trying to get 5.1 to run under the latest versions of windows!).

Man I hated 7.0!

Sometimes software dealers get 'trial' versions of software (full version but without books), I picked up Version 7 for $50..

Archived