Ouch my Nuts!!!

UK_Lefty

• Members

Was giving my five and a hlaf year ol rosewood fretboard a damn good clean and when re-attaching the strings the nut flew off!!! What is the best way to re-attach a brass nut to a wood surface? I'm sure the string tension could hold it in place to an extent... but is there a decent type of glue i could use? What would have been used in the factory?

Thanks

• Members

Plain old carpenter's glue will work fine (just a very small amount spread thin). You want it to stay in place, but be easy to remove again. You don't want anything thick that would deaden the contact between the nut and the neck itself.

• Members

Plain old carpenter's glue will work fine (just a very small amount spread thin). You want it to stay in place, but be easy to remove again. You don't want anything thick that would deaden the contact between the nut and the neck itself.

+1. You want to be able to remove it without taking half the fingerboard with it.

IIRC, high-end acoustic instruments are held together with carpenter's glue. The makers expect their instruments to last for decades, and it's easier to replace a brace, reset a neck etc when you can use a little heat and steam to disassemble the instrument to make the repairs.

Archived