Pre-amp tubes for Ampeg SVT CL

bassman339

• Members

hello everyone...

I am re-tubing my amp for the first time and according to the rear panel of the amp, the (tube complement) is (6) 6550's, (2) 12AU7's, and (1) 12AX7. The Ampeg site shows: (3) 12AX7's, (2) 12AU7's, and (6) 6550's. Im assuming that the other 2 12AX7's are pre-amp? But I cannot locate them on my amp. Anyone that has worked on one know where the other tubes are located other then what you can see from the rear panel? Its a 2000-01modelSVT Classic Head. Anything would be a great help! Thanks in advance for your responce. -Jack

• Members

hello everyone...

I am re-tubing my amp for the first time and according to the rear panel of the amp, the (tube complement) is (6) 6550's, (2) 12AU7's, and (1) 12AX7. The Ampeg site shows: (3) 12AX7's, (2) 12AU7's, and (6) 6550's. Im assuming that the other 2 12AX7's are pre-amp? But I cannot locate them on my amp. Anyone that has worked on one know where the other tubes are located other then what you can see from the rear panel? Its a 2000-01modelSVT Classic Head. Anything would be a great help! Thanks in advance for your responce. -Jack

Your assumption is correct, the two other 12AX7's are for the pre-amp. Where those are, I have no idea since I recently bought one myself and haven't had the need to replace the tubes. Someone on here knows though and hopefully they'll respond soon.

• Members

Make sure your amp is unplugged!

the SVT-CL allows you to set it up yourself, so that if you can follow the directions in the manual under the 'replacing the tubes' section, you can even bias the output tubes using the little provision on the back(LEDs and a pair of bias adjustment pots). If you aren't comfortable doing it, or removing the chassis to replace the two 'hidden' preamp tubes I would turn it over to someone qualified.

• Members

thank you guys (and gals) for your responces... i picked up some new issued Tung-sol 6550 and Electro Harmonix preamp tubes to replace the original ones that came with my amp (6550WE). im hoping that those will kick some serious a$$! im also hoping that the other (hidden) tubes dont need to be replaced anytime soon...hey, anyone know any good amp techs in the SoCal area??? thanks again! -Jack

• Members

The only way they might be hidden, so to speak, is they would have aluminum sleeves around them. You would still be able to see them.

I think 9 tubes is probablt the right number. I've never experienced a situation where there are hidden tubes as you describe them. At least not on an amp, TV or radio.

• Members

I know this may sound stupid....but where on the amp is the "preamp chassis"? Are the tubes lying on their sides? i find this very strange since the whole idea of tubes are to disapate heat.
:confused:

The preamp chassis is what the knobs are attached to. 12AX7s don't get very hot. The whole idea about tubes is to control the movement of many electrons under the control of far fewer electrons. Heat helps that to happen.

• Members

thank you so much for your help...do you think i should change out those tubes as well?? i have been playing the amp off and on for about 7 years now and im replacing the 9 visible ones.

Only if it doesn't sound right so it's up to you. Those tubes will likely last forever, though. I don't replace things unless they're bad.

• Members

Unplug the damn thing and let it sit for a couple hours before you start messing with it. The power supply filter capacitors can hold a charge for a long time even if the unit is unplugged. 500 volts can really put a crimp in your style.

• Members

Unplug the damn thing and let it sit for a couple hours before you start messing with it. The power supply filter capacitors can hold a charge for a long time even if the unit is unplugged. 500 volts can really put a crimp in your style.

There's no more than 300 volts in there which when contacted makes your pecker huge. Trust me on this.

Archived