ideas for bass upgrade?

0175westwood29

• Members

i have an axl player deluxe 5 string pictured below

as you can see its looks like a stingray ?

dnt know nout bout electrics but have always thought that the tone is a bit flat and the pick up dnt really get the bottom end clearly on the 5th string and wondered if the cure would be to put in a better pick up on but am wondering if an old stingray pick up could fit? and if it would be a pig to fit?

all advice welcome

i have a modulus on the way but love the look of this bass and want to get rid of this prob.

• Members

Hard to tell from the pic, but a Ray pickup would probably fit under there. Chances are, its just a big hole under the pickguard so if anything needs to be cut it'll just be the plastic.

have never taken that of but that sounds good, dnt suppose ppl know where to get a second hand ray humbucker from?

ebay a good shout?

• Members

Judging by use of the word "nowt" are you from the North of England? (I am! :D)

Look on US websites for pick-ups - get a Seymour Duncan "hot" replacement for it - loads of output. Be warned though - some of these sites wont take a non-US credit card, and some wont ship certain brands outside the US. E-mail before ordering. Also try Warmoth...

• Members

Nordstrand is the best Stingray replacement pickup. It's the only one that's truly engineered to sound like the original ones...which is something you mention.

If your bass is anything like a real SR, the body won't have a big hole under the pick guard...it'll just have a spot cut out for the pickup...

IMG_0563.jpg

• Members

Nordstrand is the best Stingray replacement pickup. It's the only one that's truly engineered to sound like the original ones...which is something you mention.

If your bass is anything like a real SR, the body won't have a big hole under the pick guard...it'll just have a spot cut out for the pickup...

IMG_0563.jpg

indeed but i believe my pickup in a dif place to ususal? further towards finger board also how hectic is it to add pickups?

• Members

That doesn't look like a MM pickup. Looks like a EMG40/45 typical humbucker stylr pickup.....

Yeah! I didn't even notice that in those tiny pics. You might wanna measure the pickup to find a replacement that will actually fit in there. It looks a lot skinnier than a MM pickup.

As far as getting a used pickup...unless someone is parting out a SR, it's just not going to happen. EBMM only sells replacements if you turn in the defective part...

Anywho...this is what an SR5 pickup looks like...

IMG_0740.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived