My Hartke 7000 is noisy and fuzzy any ideas?

Billystrat

• Members

So I picked up a Hartke 7000 for cheap. It powered up and I got sound so I took it. I let it sit for a couple months, now I realized when I play anything through it there's a light fuzz over the sound. The amp is covered in dust. Any possibility it just needs to be cleaned up? I emailed Hartke's customer service and they told me to take it to an authorized Hartke repair company. If I take it somewhere I know I'll get hit with a huge bench fee, anything I can try at home to clean it up?

• Members

wow I thought that was sort of a marketing scheme. So I can really call him up and talk smack on a 10+ year old amp I got used? I think he's up in NY/NJ, think I could scam my way into meeting the man himself.

Hell, I don't know...but in the ad it says it is Larry's cell number. If that gives you a recording with no forwarding number, I'd bitch like a mofo.

• Members

Try different basses and different cabs.

Try replacing the preamp tube or dialing in through the clean channel - I think those things have a dirt channel anyway, w/tube. Could be misremembering.

Is it noisy with no bass plugged in?

Also, for heaven's sake clean up your amp. If it's got dust on it, you should clean that crap off just because.

• Members

Man that sucks. A friend of mine endorses Hartke. They really hooked him up, from what I heard.

That's what he told me. They are a really customer friendly company, regardless of status. :) He was a bitchin' dude. I talked with him quite a bit. I'm sure that he'd at least point you in the right direction, if you were able to get in touch.

I don't know why people bash Hartke gear. It's about as tough as it can be, and it gives you what you put in, which I like.

• Members

That's what he told me. They are a really customer friendly company, regardless of status.
:)
He was a bitchin' dude. I talked with him quite a bit. I'm sure that he'd at least point you in the right direction, if you were able to get in touch.

I don't know why people bash Hartke gear. It's about as tough as it can be, and it gives you what you put in, which I like.

Yes, they are helpful and friendly. I've talked to a few people there, it's just the only option is to send the head off and I'd rather just cut my loses than put too much money into it.

People will bash anything. Same w/ Peavey stuff. Solid stuff. Granted both names make cheaper line stuff and practice amps.

• Members

So I picked up a Hartke 7000 for cheap. It powered up and I got sound so I took it. I let it sit for a couple months, now I realized when I play anything through it there's a light fuzz over the sound. The amp is covered in dust. Any possibility it just needs to be cleaned up? I emailed Hartke's customer service and they told me to take it to an authorized Hartke repair company. If I take it somewhere I know I'll get hit with a huge bench fee, anything I can try at home to clean it up?

I had one of those for a while. Also got it for cheap. Now I know why. It was noisy. Tube changes and cleaning didn't help. It now sits in pieces in my garage.

• Members

Your problem indicates something small like a loose XLR socket or a bad connection. Take it to a tech, it doesn't sound like a big deal and probably won't cost you much. Ring up first and ask, if you are worried about bench costs, a good tech should be able to give you an honest diagnosis over the phone.

My
Hartke
7000 is noisy and fuzzy any ideas?

well there's your problem

Yeah but... no.

• Members

Thanks for the replies. I'm using no pedals or power strip. Just Bass > monster cable > Hartke > Monster speaker cable > Genz Benz 2x10. The power in my house has always been great, no grounding issues.

I guess I'll clean it up, replace the 12ax7...if it's still acting up, I'll man up and at least get a quote before I use it as a paper weight.

Archived