I hate soloing in D

The Insomniac

• Members

I read the setup process, it sounded tricky, is it?

Not really - you just remove the existing tuner, and pop on the Hipshot. If you buy the direct replacement for the tuner make and model already on the bass, you get a perfect fit. It uses the same holes in the headstock, so no drilling is needed.

• Members

Not really - you just remove the existing tuner, and pop on the Hipshot. If you buy the direct replacement for the tuner make and model already on the bass, you get a perfect fit. It uses the same holes in the headstock, so no drilling is needed.

I meant setting it up for fine tuning.

• Members

Are they? It literally takes me 10 seconds to drop the d with a tuning pedal. Why spend an extra $80 on a single tuning machine?

To my ears, even the best Whammy pedals and the like lack a pure sonic character. They also seem to have latency issues in terms of immediate reproduction of the note event. YMMV.

• Members

I wasn't saying whammy pedal. I was saying actually downtuning with a tuner (tu-2 or the like).

Oh, I dig. Marcus Miller said he did that for two decades on his four-string. He has a Hipshot on his new CS bass, though.

If you play a structured set where you strictly follow the list, you can get some time to tune down and back up properly between tunes. In other scenarios, tunes are called as the leader (or band) sees fit, and you simply don't have the time to tune up properly - it'll wreck the flow of the set. That's where a Hipshot is a great tool to have.

• Members

for about 2 years, now, I've been tuning all of my basses DGCF. Why?

For whatever reasons I kept having to play songs that had descending basslines and they all resolved at Eb or D. Felt like I was pouring cold water on the songs when I suddenly went high to grab that final note.

I did go shopping for a 5-string. It started to seem silly to consider paying $600 to get 2 extra notes. (The 5-string would get 5 additional notes, but my problems weren't due to needing a lower Db, C or B.)

I went home and messed around with dropping the lowest string to D. Weird. Just tune the whole damned instrument down a whole step.

The tone and feel were incredible!!!

The problem now is in letting people know that if they're watching my fingers for clues, or if they want to play my bass ...

• Members

for about 2 years, now, I've been tuning all of my basses DGCF. Why?

For whatever reasons I kept having to play songs that had descending basslines and they all resolved at Eb or D. Felt like I was pouring cold water on the songs when I suddenly went high to grab that final note.

I did go shopping for a 5-string. It started to seem silly to consider paying $600 to get 2 extra notes. (The 5-string would get 5 additional notes, but my problems weren't due to needing a lower Db, C or B.)

I went home and messed around with dropping the lowest string to D. Weird. Just tune the whole damned instrument down a whole step.

The tone and feel were incredible!!!

The problem now is in letting people know that if they're watching my fingers for clues, or if they want to play my bass ...

How long did it take to get used to that? I think I'd be grabbing for the right notes in the wrong places just out of muscle memory for quite a while.

• Members

How long did it take to get used to that? I think I'd be grabbing for the right notes in the wrong places just out of muscle memory for quite a while.

Muscle memory is a reason why I dropped all 4 strings and not just the lowest string.

I also put markers on the back of the neck for visual reminder of where C and G were on my "D" string.

All of this happened maybe a week before a jazz gig. (lots of chord changes) and everything was fine, but the visual markers were important.

Around the time the markings started wearing away, they really weren't needed any more. Maybe a month?

The initial idea was to get thru the one gig, but the bass was feeling & sounding too good to go back to EADG.

Archived